Alternate Brake booster for...?

A place to post a build thread for your 2nd Gen truck.
(1987-1996)
Forum rules
Please look carefully at all the Sub Categories and place your question in the most appropriate Sub Category for faster replies. Thank you and enjoy your time here.

Alternate Brake booster for...?

Postby 77amc » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:03 pm

I had made a thread on ProjectOg about a BMW booster as an upgrade because of clearance problems associated with the 4g6x swaps.
Well, i was at a 'yard' today and found a mid-80's GM truck that still had the hydro-boost setup still on it..!
(for some reason, most EVERY booster/Mc is gone from the trucks or it's a junk piece)

Anywho, for only 25.00+lines I pulled the booster off and left the m/c because someone had left the top off and it was just totally rusted.

This can be utilized in most any project that already has power steering, since it uses that to boost the line pressure instead of vacume. Additionally, it also provides in upwards of 1800psi so effort should be minimal.

Here is some pics and measuring tape to give a better example. I'm hoping to use this on my Hornet (some day)

E

77amc
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 2.6
What year vehicle do you own?: 1989

Re: Alternate Brake booster for...?

Postby netstat » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:01 pm

MaxD50 wrote:Most use a GEO Metro Booster.

wtf, i just sold my metro not that long ago
netstat
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 2.4L
What year vehicle do you own?: 1991

Postby 77amc » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:26 pm

Geo booster in what? Quest? Max?
That colt turbo I stripped was smaller in dia. just a little different in attaching pattern for the firewall. Still do-able though.

E
77amc
VIP
VIP

Postby netstat » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:55 pm

MaxD50 wrote:
77amc wrote:Geo booster in what? Quest? Max?
That colt turbo I stripped was smaller in dia. just a little different in attaching pattern for the firewall. Still do-able though.

E

I was assuming you were asking about booster swaps for our trucks, because this is not a Conquest / Starion forum

lol we need a rep system on this forum so I can +rep people for well timed use of sarcasm :)
netstat
VIP
VIP

Postby netstat » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:38 pm

MaxD50 wrote:I wasn't trying to start nothing Rob, but I was just trying to figure out why he would ask which type of brake booster to use in a Conquest/Starion if he's posting in a mm/d50 forum?

it was still funny tho, and therefore deserved +rep if there was a button for it :)
netstat
VIP
VIP

Postby 77amc » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:28 am

NO need for sarcasm :hand: . I am fully aware that this is a Mitsubishi truck forum..
Just from what I've read from other sites about clearance problems with the 4g swaps associated with the intake of the 4g getting too close to EITHER max/quest/starion.
If it could save somebody $$$ using this setup versus buying or fabbing up something, and parts are easy to find, then GREAT!

SO, if it would be helpful and work in one application, theoretically it should prove beneficial in other similar makes.
And since I see a vast amount more GM trucks with the hydro-boost system that lends itself to be easily used in other vehicles with power steering compared to Geo Metros, I would think that someone who is building a high hp/high speed vehicle could use this option of reliable, high pressure braking system compared to a sub-compact system that was NEVER slated for anything high performance. That's all..

It doesn't make sense. Would you have said the same type of statement if I said that I used a awd talons' carrier bearing to replace mine on my MAXs' two piece shaft. Or if I try and adapt this talon or quest independent rear suspension and wheels to my MAX? Or by replacing my MAXs' rear end with a Toyota one?

I see that you are Very devoted to keeping your truck(s) in "as best as you possibly can" condition with nice rare stock parts, but since I'll not get to the point you are, I'm going to work at my own Ideas and pass them on to whomever would like to know.

Errol
77amc
VIP
VIP

Postby netstat » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:22 pm

The bad: I think I have stirred the pot in this thread ... sorry

The Good: I just ate the biggest potato chip i have ever seen in my life.
netstat
VIP
VIP

Postby 77amc » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:23 pm

No WORRIES on this end.. I've got soo many projects going on that it's hard to keep up with them all. From lawn mowers to Range-Rovers to Chevy strokers to Hondas to Mitsubishis..
But I try and use different techniques and applications toward whatever it is that I'm doing.
I really like helping folks out in whatever area that I can. And I do spread myself out too thin and sometimes it bites me in the end. But hey, I'm learning more and more every day.

Getting back to the booster..

Of course this setup will only work with a vehicle that already has a power steering system in place. And for it's size, I believe it to be a very economical, HIGH Performance breaking system.

E
77amc
VIP
VIP

Postby TotallyBalistic » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:46 pm

those hydro-boost systems are pretty good on a fullsize. can just imagine what they would do in a minitruck or a car
Chuck Norris doesnt read books, he stares them down until he gets the information he wants.
TotallyBalistic
Good Times
Good Times

Engine Size: 2.0
What year vehicle do you own?: 1988

Postby netstat » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:35 pm

TotallyBalistic wrote:those hydro-boost systems are pretty good on a fullsize. can just imagine what they would do in a minitruck or a car

... lock up the brakes pretty easy? :)
netstat
VIP
VIP

Next

Return to 2nd Generation