Fuel tanks?

A place to post a build thread for your 2nd Gen truck.
(1987-1996)
Forum rules
Please look carefully at all the Sub Categories and place your question in the most appropriate Sub Category for faster replies. Thank you and enjoy your time here.

Re: Fuel tanks?

Postby laidoutmits » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:20 pm

There is a marine grade two part epoxy that comes in a plastic tube bout the size of a lifesaver role. I have found it at the auto parts store also. You can use it under water or on a leaking tank ( it does work better on an empty one though) . It dries pretty hard and with a little sanding on the metal it sticks well to.
laidoutmits

Engine Size: 2.0
What year vehicle do you own?: 1989

Postby crvtec90 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:29 am

Well I know JB weld didnt work at patching the pin holes in my tank. It really only lasted a few weeks then it just lifted right off and gas started seeping out.

I scored a 95 max and used the tank in my 90 model. Both trucks were 2.4 5 spd.....The tank looks exactly the same and fit perfect. I took the fuel gauge sender out and swapped it for the one that came in my truck. I also swapped the fuel pumps only because the 90 was much larger. Probably would not have made a difference but I just went with the stuff my truck came with since I already knew they worked in my truck.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Drive it like u stole it
crvtec90

Engine Size: 2.6
What year vehicle do you own?: 1990

Postby TurboMax » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:09 am

crvtec90 wrote:Well I know JB weld didnt work at patching the pin holes in my tank. It really only lasted a few weeks then it just lifted right off and gas started seeping out.

I scored a 95 max and used the tank in my 90 model. Both trucks were 2.4 5 spd.....The tank looks exactly the same and fit perfect. I took the fuel gauge sender out and swapped it for the one that came in my truck. I also swapped the fuel pumps only because the 90 was much larger. Probably would not have made a difference but I just went with the stuff my truck came with since I already knew they worked in my truck.

The 1990 stock fuel pump is rated at 55 gph versus the 1991-95 fuel pump at 45 gph. Also the electrical connector is different.
TurboMax

Engine Size: 2.6T

Previous

Return to 2nd Generation