Fuel tanks?

A place to post a build thread for your 2nd Gen truck.
(1987-1996)
Forum rules
Please look carefully at all the Sub Categories and place your question in the most appropriate Sub Category for faster replies. Thank you and enjoy your time here.

Fuel tanks?

Postby netstat » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:30 pm

I can find 1st gen fuel tanks absolutely anywhere on the internet... you can spit in any direction and hit one... but why can't i find a 2nd gen tank anywhere? does mitsu still have it in production and not allow aftermarket companies to reproduce them or something?
netstat
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 2.4L
What year vehicle do you own?: 1991

Re: Fuel tanks?

Postby netstat » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:14 am

I found a dealership that sells them online ... for over $500

looks like my MM can see an aftermarket fuel cell in its future.
netstat
VIP
VIP

Postby crvtec90 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:32 am

me 2 dude. My truck has a bedliner that has been trapping dirt and rusting out the bed. Once the bed was full of holes the water just ran down the outside of the tank and filler neck. Its ugly. The used parts people are telling me 90 was a one year only tank. I found a used on for $125 shipped but I am already having trouble with my injectors clogging and sticking open so Im weary of another used tank.
Drive it like u stole it
crvtec90

Engine Size: 2.6
What year vehicle do you own?: 1990

Postby netstat » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:48 am

crvtec90 wrote:The used parts people are telling me 90 was a one year only tank.

No way in hell, no manufacturer would do that. Mine is a 91 and a guarantee its the same tank
netstat
VIP
VIP

Postby crvtec90 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:13 am

Ill show u mine if u show me yours.

There might be something stupid like the mounts or vents that are different.
Drive it like u stole it
crvtec90

Postby netstat » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:17 pm

crvtec90 wrote:Ill show u mine if u show me yours.

There might be something stupid like the mounts or vents that are different.

lol, everyone on here i think has now creeped me out lol :)

I didn't take many pics while I had the bed off. I'll see what I can find
netstat
VIP
VIP

Postby crvtec90 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:06 am

Why do u need a tank anyway? Is yours rustin, dented, leaking? I picked up a gallon of Evaporust from the local auto parts store. It eats rust and does not affect the good metal. I poured it in and just kept flipping the tank around trying to get all the surfaces to soak. The outside of my tank was rusted up and had a series of small holes just above half way up the side. I sand blasted the rust down to clean metal and sealed up the holes with JB weld ( 2 part epoxy). The sealer is supoosed to hold up to fuel, but I dont see it lasting very long before I will need another tank. I say that because I let some gas soak on the repaired areas and it did not leak but it did get soft enough for me to scrape at it with my fingernail. Now I suppose I will just keep the tank under half full so the epoxy doesnt stay saturated and start leaking .
Drive it like u stole it
crvtec90

Postby mikewarme » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:54 pm

Please, quit the mickey mousing guys and just buy a new one from Mitsubishi. Comes with sending unit and all. You won't have a nig##@ed truck.
Think of the time you waste customizing it with your sawzall when you can just bolt it up. www.oemmitsubishiparts.com

The aftermarket tanks don't have the same rust protection as the OEM tank. give your truck what it deserves.
mikewarme

Engine Size: 2.3
What year vehicle do you own?: 1983

Postby netstat » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:23 pm

mikewarme wrote:Please, quit the mickey mousing guys and just buy a new one from Mitsubishi. Comes with sending unit and all. You won't have a nig##@ed truck.
Think of the time you waste customizing it with your sawzall when you can just bolt it up. http://www.oemmitsubishiparts.com

The aftermarket tanks don't have the same rust protection as the OEM tank. give your truck what it deserves.

maybe you didn't follow your own link, but they want $515 for a simple fuel tank. So I'll rephrase the same thing back to you... Think of all the money you're wasting whili I'm customizing my tank with a sawzall.
netstat
VIP
VIP

Postby LethalEthan » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:33 pm

some people like customizing their own stuff. Makes it different than any one else's. You want direct bolt up buy a honda or something more popular. But at that point why don't you just take it to a pro shop and have them build all your shit for you save you all the trouble and time of working on it yourself. Why pay money out the ass for something that can be fixed with a little customization. I guess some of us just shit money, sure wish I could.

LethalEthan
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 2.3L

Next

Return to 2nd Generation