project mighty simple

A place to post build threads for Might Max Trucks.
Forum rules
Please look carefully at all the Sub Categories and place your question in the most appropriate Sub Category for faster replies. Thank you and enjoy your time here.

Re: project mighty simple

Postby 4doorciv » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:21 am

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I would have don't the same if I was in your shoes.
-Ryan-
1989 mighty max 4g63 turbo. -down-
1995 Eagle talon tsi awd. -daily-
1992 Honda civic b18c1. -sold-
4doorciv
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 4g63
What year vehicle do you own?: 1989

Postby L.K. » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:56 pm

heres a few pics.. they are current as of today...

motor mounts off and cleaned up, drivers side uca mount started.

damn i have so much more work to do....

thanks for looking..

please comment, like, dis=like, leave feedback please. thanks

L.K.
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 2.4
What year vehicle do you own?: 1984

Postby 4doorciv » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:44 pm

I'm sorry but I don't quite understand the consept of the square tubing designed like that. Also, removing the engine mounts tells me you won't be using the 2.4 anymore, or you are going to do a body drop and modify where the engine sits in the bay.
-Ryan-
4doorciv
VIP
VIP

Postby L.K. » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:53 pm

4doorciv wrote:I'm sorry but I don't quite understand the consept of the square tubing designed like that. Also, removing the engine mounts tells me you won't be using the 2.4 anymore, or you are going to do a body drop and modify where the engine sits in the bay.

the square tubing is used to mock up and fab to the original two bolt holes that are from the factory locations. it looks like it does because its just scrap pieces that i had and didnt want to waste the money on buying more.... There are many other ways to do this. This being my first build that is this far in depth i chose to go this route.

this keeps the two points in the right spots while i build to them and come up with my design. then allows me to build them and not lose the original positions.

the motor mounts were removed because i am going with a sbc once i am done and satisfied with my frame and all its work still to come.

I am going to body drop it to the pinch...well atleast to the pinch but most likely to the rockers. I also z'd the frame. this helps with laying out ..it brings the cross member and the steering linkage components that are below the frame to be raised up so the truck truly lays out and doesnt rest on the components that are naturally below the frame rails.
L.K.
VIP
VIP

Postby 4doorciv » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:03 pm

Ah. Okay. I was wondering about the design. Have you given any thoughts on rolling the pinch? Also I remember a few builds on mightyd50 that layed frame without z-ing it. They pie cut the upper and lower control arms, and that's all I remember. It was a while ago.
-Ryan-
4doorciv
VIP
VIP

Postby L.K. » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:13 am

4doorciv wrote:Ah. Okay. I was wondering about the design. Have you given any thoughts on rolling the pinch? Also I remember a few builds on mightyd50 that layed frame without z-ing it. They pie cut the upper and lower control arms, and that's all I remember. It was a while ago.

pie cutting is to keep your ball joints from binding which helps with laying out or getting lift..depending on which way you cut them... i have never seen one of these in person that has layed on the frame and only the frame with out work... Truly laying frame flat with no ugly as rake.... and not sitting on anything else. ----without alot of work to steering components crossmembes....

---i have heard that some years are different ...idk about all of them...just mine...i had to z it so it would lay FLAT AND EVEN and not on the steering components..

thanks for looking
L.K.
VIP
VIP

Postby 4doorciv » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:33 pm

True. They did some work but I remember a few that did everything without z-ing the frame for the engine. Well, keep up the good work.
-Ryan-
4doorciv
VIP
VIP

Postby pennyman1 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:42 pm

The Ram50/MM frame needs to be z'd to lay totally flat because the front crossmember sits too low in relation to the rear, causing the front to sit higher than the rear. Raising the front crossmember puts the bottom of the crossmember flush with the frame. Z'ing and new carrier and tranny crossmembers will make the frame totally flat side to side and front to rear. Definately not for the novice; btw great work on all the mods, much more than I can do. That's why I have friends that build race cars make the parts i need, it's worth it to be safe to me.
Pennyman1
Living the D-50 life since 1980
The best Dodge that Dodge never made
pennyman1
VIP
VIP

Postby 4doorciv » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:05 pm

Makes sense. Maybe that's what the guy did. Oh well. Please keep up the good work.
-Ryan-
4doorciv
VIP
VIP

Postby L.K. » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:25 pm

pennyman1 wrote:The Ram50/MM frame needs to be z'd to lay totally flat because the front crossmember sits too low in relation to the rear, causing the front to sit higher than the rear. Raising the front crossmember puts the bottom of the crossmember flush with the frame. Z'ing and new carrier and tranny crossmembers will make the frame totally flat side to side and front to rear. Definately not for the novice; btw great work on all the mods, much more than I can do. That's why I have friends that build race cars make the parts i need, it's worth it to be safe to me.

thanks for the help on clearing that up....and on the "SAFE" part i wouldnt do this stuff if i didnt have the know how and understanding of welding and fabbing. It was my job to weld, fit, and fab up structural and pipe. But yeah i get what you are saying. And thanks for reminding me to keep safety in my build. For others around me when its time.
Thanks for looking and all of your input..

4doorciv wrote:Makes sense. Maybe that's what the guy did. Oh well. Please keep up the good work.

yeah most likely did. Thanks for looking and all of your input and questions. Please keep them coming..this is all a learning experience to me--the building a truck part atleast..
thanks..
L.K.
VIP
VIP

PreviousNext

Return to Mighty Max Trucks