Putting down 200+HP but keeping 4wd?

Forum rules
Please look carefully at all the Sub Categories and place your question in the most appropriate Sub Category for faster replies. Thank you and enjoy your time here.

Putting down 200+HP but keeping 4wd?

Postby Psylocibe » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:54 pm

I've got a 1982 D50 Sport that I'm beginning a Starion ESI-R turbo swap on, I see that this forum is no stranger to the swap. However most places I've looked have told me that my transmission is the weak link and will grenade with the kind of expected power levels I'm looking for when I'm finished building up the Starion running gear (200-225 WHP). People are reccomending me to take the tranny out of my Starion parts car as well, but that would mean that I would need to convert to RWD only in my truck, eliminating most of the trailbashing that I had in mind.

Obviously, I wouldn't be doing drag launches in 4 Low, but the whole point of the swap was to give me some extra grunt for the dirt as well as suprise the occasional Honda on the street. What kind of options do I have to keep my 4WD intact?
Psylocibe

Engine Size: 2.6L
What year vehicle do you own?: 1982

Re: Putting down 200+HP but keeping 4wd?

Postby wrngwae » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:19 am

you can use the starion trans but you need to put the tail shaft assy off the ram50 transmission/transfer.......
!!!!Real Trucks Don't Need Spark Plugs!!!!
or Chinese parts!!!!
764  768 
wrngwae
Super Mod
Super Mod

Engine Size: 2.3
What year vehicle do you own?: 1987

Postby Psylocibe » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:22 am

Thank you, I didn't know that was possible. I'll take a look at it when I get both transmissions out of the vehicle. Just unbolt the transfer case off of the D50?
Psylocibe

Postby Psylocibe » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:08 pm

Pictures of the parts car.

the quote from my other car forum for the extraction:

The day started out wonderfully when I dropped my cellphone into the toilet while pissing. It only went uphill from there.

Oxman and I borrowed my coworkers slammed Dually pickup and trailer to go pick up the Starion. Duallies shouldn't scrape when driven sideways out of parking lots. Onward we went towards Wine country, full of vim and vigor, eagerly looking forward to picking up my new car.

A bit too eager, the weather was warm and as it turned out Oxman felt more comfortable riding in the car sans pants

The last 20 miles of the trip or so to the dude's house were tight winding mountain road, which quite frankly was scary to drive on with a lowered dually and trailer. Finally getting to his house, we were confronted with a rutted dirt hill road, where the owner had to back our truck down the hill, flip it around, and back it back up to try to load the Starion.

It was around this time I noticed the copious quantities of black widow webs inside the Starion.

So it was on the way back home that we lost the brakes. The rears just stopped working and we kind of started locking up the front randomly. We almost plowed into a car at a stoplight and ran into the brakedown lane. We had to nurse the truck home about another 80 miles using the engine shifting to simulate braking, and we had a couple other hairy encounters.

Well it's home, motherfuckers. Suck my dick.

The scope of the D50 project changed. I originally picked it up for free from a guy that said I could have it for free if I got it running. Drove it for about 200 miles and found it had blown a head gasket on every cylinder, cracked the head, and spun a bearing. While dead in the water on parts I began going crazy on fucking with its appearance because hey, free ratty minitruck. Everyone should have one little beater they don't really give a shit about at least once in their life, this was mine. Now just as I was finishing the rebuild of the original motor the Starion fell in my lap.

Here's pics of my D50, so named the Froot Truck.

Album with everything so far: http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a47/ni ... t%20truck/

As it was driving:

Pulling the engine and tranny:

Fucking around with the dash, I painted it purple green colorshift paint and added stickers.

Psylocibe

Postby DarthWookie » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:36 pm

Nice starting platform you have there, I love the pastel rainbow of Metallica lyrics on your dash lol :music-headbanger:
where the hell are my PANTS!?!?!?!?
DarthWookie

Postby Psylocibe » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:57 pm

That's wierd I changed the settings in photobucket to resize them to 800px wide, and they show up fine on my other forums but get the ends cut off here. However it seems if you click on them the whole picture shows up. There's a ton more pictures of the truck in the gallery. I GTI'd the front grille, painted the carbed block HEMI orange, and painted VTOL-SOHC all over the side. I have plans on making it a rolling eyesore with balls to back it up to go hunting Hondas and the like. Think WWII Q-Ship.
Psylocibe

Postby wrngwae » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:17 am

how much for your drivers seat out of the starion? what year is your statrion??? if it is an 89 i would not cut it up if i were you!!!!!!!!
!!!!Real Trucks Don't Need Spark Plugs!!!!
or Chinese parts!!!!
764  768 
wrngwae
Super Mod
Super Mod

Engine Size: 2.3
What year vehicle do you own?: 1987

Postby Psylocibe » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:52 am

Both seats are going into my truck, and I already have another person lined up who wants the shell. It worked out perfectly, I bought this one with a good body and a bad rod knock and wanted the driveline out of it, and he bought one with a destroyed body but a good driveline for cheap, and will be taking the shell off of me for pennies to swap his driveline into so this Starion will live again, it will just be a little round about getting there. Specs on this one are a 1987 ESI-R Widebody.
Psylocibe

Postby Spicoli » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:46 pm

Go get a v6 auto transmission out of a monte swap a wideblock auto bellhousing on it and be done
--keRby

LethalEthan wrote: I wish I had 10 exhaust pipes, I bet that shit flows like LL Cool J

Ad Inexplorata
Spicoli
VIP
VIP

Postby joey_crandall » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:53 am

its got seats from an 88. but ask the dude how much he wants for the rear cargo cover.
always gift wrap your package.
joey_crandall

Engine Size: SQ
What year vehicle do you own?: 1986

Next

Return to All 4WD Trucks