86' Power Ram 50 Project: Desert Hunter

Forum rules
Please look carefully at all the Sub Categories and place your question in the most appropriate Sub Category for faster replies. Thank you and enjoy your time here.

Re: 86' Power Ram 50 Project: Desert Hunter

Postby Acuta73 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:55 am

Will take both bits of advice. I don't think the shop played with timing at all after I looked at the invoice again, I bet you're right (wish I could remember where it's sitting now.). After how rich that old carb was running, and for how long, carbon build-up is a very real possibility, as well.

As far as jets, I'm not sure what the carb CAME with, but I know she's happy adjusted rich. Lean just leads to bad things. I'm willing to let the existing jets ride until I can get a good ported/polished head on it, and possibly headers, though it's gonna hurt the gas budget a bit. After a tank of gas and more fiddling, I'm looking at ~200 miles to the tank, or about 13.3MPG (runs better, worse fuel mileage../sigh). I KNOW the 38 is capable of upwards of 30, if I can get over 20, I'll call it good.

Thanks, guys.

As an addendum, I need to run down and talk to the guy that worked on the carb. He apparently doesn't believe in witness marks and I'd like to know his adjustments as a base-line.
Acuta73

Engine Size: 2.6L
What year vehicle do you own?: 1986

Previous

Return to All 4WD Trucks