4x4 vs 2wd

Forum rules
Please look carefully at all the Sub Categories and place your question in the most appropriate Sub Category for faster replies. Thank you and enjoy your time here.

4x4 vs 2wd

Postby Aeroheadcww » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:01 pm

I was just wondering, is there a difference in the chassis between the 4x4 and 2wd RAM50? I have an 89 long bed that is in near perfect condition, except the paint, but I really need a 4x4 and I was wondering if the transfer case, axles, etc. could be bolted onto my truck if I could get a 4x4 donor. Can you use parts from a montero as well? Thanks for any help. :D
Aeroheadcww

Engine Size: 2.6
What year vehicle do you own?: 1989

Re: 4x4 vs 2wd

Postby Spicoli » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:36 pm

Frames are quit e different lots of weld on x member mounts and brackets no on the 2wd, Monteros are very similar cept there a schosh bit narrower. If you really want to make a 4x4 out of yourexisting 2wd, bust out the torch and welder and SAS it
--keRby

LethalEthan wrote: I wish I had 10 exhaust pipes, I bet that shit flows like LL Cool J

Ad Inexplorata
Spicoli
VIP
VIP

Postby capev86 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:55 pm

i drove my 87 ram 50 short bed, std cab, 2.0 5spd, manual steering, etc through the winter a couple years ago and it did ok enough that i want to keep it the roadster (rwd) configuration for the other 9 months of the year. decent tires make a difference as well as having some weight in the back (my dad's had luck with 2wd suburbans). big issue is the open differential. i have seen 4x4's spinning one tire at each end and people tend to get over confident with them whereas i would save the 4x4 capability just to get out of a bind. i'm thinking a locking diff and softening the rear axle gear (3000gt awd 3.3 rear diff ring/pinion?) would help quell the peg-leg personality traits of 2wd pickups in winter driving.

some of the (available on 4wd only) pieces i want to pick up for my truck eventually:

skid plates - if they will bolt onto a 2wd as i do take the truck off road, live on a dirt road, etc.

87 power ram, raider/montero 15 inch 5 spoke rims that look like the stock 14's on my truck
capev86

Engine Size: 2.0
What year vehicle do you own?: 1987

Postby camoit » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:53 pm

I would get somthing like an old bronco and drop the body on it. Now that is a mod the board is dying for.
Here is my BUILD THREAD.
Live Class 6 off road race truck build. CLICK HERE FOR FEED.

http://www.onsiteconcrete.net
camoit
Admin
Admin

Engine Size: 2.6L
What year vehicle do you own?: 1980

Return to All 4WD Trucks