Drag racing 4-link

Suspension Drops, Air Bagging, and all Ground Slamming Modifications.

Drag racing 4-link

Postby Josh2g » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:53 am

Anyone ever done one? I have no idea about building a race car with a live axle. I am looking for links to a kit or advice on building a custom kit. Any help would be appreciated.
Josh2g
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 2.4L
What year vehicle do you own?: 1991

Re: Drag racing 4-link

Postby Johnboy72 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:07 am

Drag racing 4 link? I'm assuming you are referring to a parallel four link. What vehicle is this for? Truck or something else?
Johnboy72
VIP
VIP

Postby Josh2g » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:17 am

Johnboy72 wrote:Drag racing 4 link? I'm assuming you are referring to a parallel four link. What vehicle is this for? Truck or something else?

Yes, its for the Mighty Max, like I said I have never built a live axle vehicle so I don't know the terms. lol
Josh2g
VIP
VIP

Postby camoit » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:11 am

Here is a link to information on what you are looking for. There is also information and where to find parts on 4 link in my build thread. I have done lots of the hunting for others on where to get parts. http://www.sporttruck.com/techarticles/0804st_rear_suspension_design/index.html

You can find my thread in my sig.
Here is my BUILD THREAD.
Live Class 6 off road race truck build. CLICK HERE FOR FEED.

http://www.onsiteconcrete.net
camoit
Admin
Admin

Engine Size: 2.6L
What year vehicle do you own?: 1980

Postby Josh2g » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:11 am

That is a really good write up. I really like that 3 link design that you went with. I just want to get the front wheels off the ground without twisting the axle. it seems like a 4 link would remedy that. I will have to read through your build more to find where to get the parts.
Josh2g
VIP
VIP

Postby Johnboy72 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:30 pm

I'm a fan of Triangulated four links! Good suspension articulation and no need for a panhard bar. I also like a wishbone too. If I had to do a parallel, I would probably looking into a Watts link to keep it centered under there. But it's funny cause I was just noticing on Max Fish's Facebook he was mentioning someone asked him which link he preferred. My comment in my head was the very first comment he made. They each have an application they work for.
Johnboy72
VIP
VIP

Postby Josh2g » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:48 pm

I really like the triangulated 4 link as well my only problem is where/how to mount the coil springs.
In this setup they are behind the axle
This setup they are on top of the axle

It looks like my project for the weekend is to get the bed off and see what I am working with.
Josh2g
VIP
VIP

Postby fool on the hill » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:55 am

The D50-Arrow-Mitsu's all had leaf springs.
I don't care for four links. I've been drag racing since 1964. I raced Mopar Super Stockers up until the Chrysler boycott of Pro Stock in '74, when I switched to motorcycles.
Anyway, I'd measure the spring eyes and compare them to the length of Mopar "A" body S/S leaf springs. They can be had for 200 bucks, so if they don't do what you want, you aren't out big bucks.
They will run every bit as fast as a 4 link and last a long time on anything other than an extreme drag race only application. I just saw a 360 Mopar powered D50 this past weekend running 7 flat in the 8th mile with leaf springs, and he was indeed pulling the front wheels all the way through first gear.
I'm spending a bit more on mine, and having Eaton custom build S/S springs for my Arrow, which will run about $400 bucks, but they will be engineering specifically for the truck's weight.
fool on the hill

Engine Size: 50

Postby Josh2g » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:25 pm

fool on the hill wrote:The D50-Arrow-Mitsu's all had leaf springs.
I don't care for four links. I've been drag racing since 1964. I raced Mopar Super Stockers up until the Chrysler boycott of Pro Stock in '74, when I switched to motorcycles.
Anyway, I'd measure the spring eyes and compare them to the length of Mopar "A" body S/S leaf springs. They can be had for 200 bucks, so if they don't do what you want, you aren't out big bucks.
They will run every bit as fast as a 4 link and last a long time on anything other than an extreme drag race only application. I just saw a 360 Mopar powered D50 this past weekend running 7 flat in the 8th mile with leaf springs, and he was indeed pulling the front wheels all the way through first gear.
I'm spending a bit more on mine, and having Eaton custom build S/S springs for my Arrow, which will run about $400 bucks, but they will be engineering specifically for the truck's weight.

Very interesting, I thought leaf springs in drag racing was a no-no, because the axle could twist. I will wait for you to reply back but I will be searching for A body springs(I assume S/S is stainless steel?).
Josh2g
VIP
VIP

Postby fool on the hill » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:45 pm

Far from it! In fact, the car I'm building now had a floater in it, or link-leaf suspension, and I took the floater out and removed the links and mounts. Setting up the correct pinion angle is the most important piece, but that is so no matter what suspension linkage you use.
Ray Barton, Hemi guru extraordinaire, said the Hemi Cuda's and Dart's ran every bit as fast with the leaf springs as they do with the four links. Those particular cars are making so much insane H.P. these days, with the incredible artifical traction tracks create these days, that those cars were actually wearing the springs out. The result was that the car would wheelie higher, and longer, than they wanted. (Bet that's not a problem to you, is it?)
Another hole to shoot in the theory of axle wind up: that info comes from GM guys, and all factory GM stuff like that was crap, total crap.
A story: Years ago a local speed shop owner was running a 340 4-speed Dart. The car ran consistant 12.20's. He had stock leafs on it with Lakewood traction bars (slapper bars).
We finally talked him into going with S/S leaf springs. First run on the car, no other changes, he ran 11.70, carried the frint wheels all the way through first gear, and dropped his cee-gar, his mouth dropped plumb open. It launched so hard it blew him away . We had to run away from him in the pits, we thought he was gonna kiss us.
Believe me, they work.
Now, total disclosure: Mike Cotton and his wife run two virtually identical Dusters in NHRA stock competition. One uses plain old Mopar super stock springs, the other car preferred Cal-tracks, a different type of link-leaf set up. So what I'm saying is different vehicles do react differently sometimes. My original point, if the length is right, there isn't a better, more economical system to simply bolt in. As I said, you can always go to a more complex, expensive set up later.
fool on the hill

Engine Size: 50

Next

Return to Suspension / Lowering