Am I at least on the right track?

Suspension Drops, Air Bagging, and all Ground Slamming Modifications.

Am I at least on the right track?

Postby denraweb » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:17 am

Ok so I have been wanting to get a mm and bag it. I have never done it before, but I wanna try it out and see if I can do it. Im still learning, but as far as parts go, does this all look right?

Anyone care to chime in? Maybe something on here I don't really need? Or maybe I don't need as strong or something lol.

Well I'm looking to to do a fbss and I wanna be able to drag the frame. I plan on z-ing the frame, and doing a 4 link. like I said, I'm still learning, so any help is appreciated. Thanks guys/girls.

So here's my cart from airbagit.com

denraweb

Engine Size: 2.0
What year vehicle do you own?: 1993

Re: Am I at least on the right track?

Postby netstat » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:42 am

I'm trying to get started on a similar project, so I don't yet have the know-how to say that these are or aren't the exact parts you need. But that is one impressive list. Looks like you are off to a good start.

Keep us posted on progress, I am very interested in how it turns out.

I found some real good info on minitruckin.com for bagging a 2nd gen MM. I'l try and post up links to it all later today.

-Rob
netstat
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 2.4L
What year vehicle do you own?: 1991

Postby LethalEthan » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:05 pm

your list looks pretty good except for the valve manifold. I know someone who was going to use one of those on his max and when he installed it he found leaks EVERYWHERE. Are you doing bag over axle or what?

LethalEthan
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 2.3L

Postby denraweb » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:30 pm

netstat wrote:I'm trying to get started on a similar project, so I don't yet have the know-how to say that these are or aren't the exact parts you need. But that is one impressive list. Looks like you are off to a good start.

Keep us posted on progress, I am very interested in how it turns out.

I found some real good info on minitruckin.com for bagging a 2nd gen MM. I'l try and post up links to it all later today.

-Rob

Yea thanks. It is a big list and hefty price. Unfortunately I have to put this project on hold. I just went to court today and I have 3 seperate fines I have to pay. 2 were outstanding (way overdue) therefore, I couldn't get those fines reduced. So for those 2, I owe a little more than $3500. Yes that thousand... As for the last one I got (driving with suspended license), they reduced that from $1200 to $300 since I went to court for it. Sucks, but it was my responsibility and now I gotta pay the piper... Gotta find a steady job now...

LethalEthan wrote:your list looks pretty good except for the valve manifold. I know someone who was going to use one of those on his max and when he installed it he found leaks EVERYWHERE. Are you doing bag over axle or what?

Yea I was kind of iffy about the valves, and was actually looking at a diff site for the valves. What would you recommend? As for how I'm bagging, I still am not clear as I'm still learning. All I know is I wanna drag the frame lol. My rim size will always either be 18"-19" and lower. I may one day go into 20's, but not soon. I will most likely ride around on caddy stocks, as I think it looks clean and no one in town here really rocks em. But I wanna be able to lay the frame on those.

So does it look like i'm missing anything? Also if you look at the list, I have added the spring pockets w/ bags at 2600lbs. I do want to be able to put stuff in my bed every once in awhile (sometimes heavy things like a bike, as in street bike), would those bags be ok for that? Or should I upgrade the rears? Also since I have the pockets, I still need those front bag brackets correct? I'm assuming the pockets are the top part of where the bags will sit, and the brackets on the list go on the bottom of the bag right?

Well thanks for all the help, really looking forward to this once I get my tickets paid off.
denraweb

Postby denraweb » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:46 am

Oh also does anyone make Control arms? I'm thinking if they sell em, it might be safer to just buy em from a reputable company/seller this way it keeps me from having to do the fab work myself. This way it would make it more of a bolt in affair. Any ideas? Maybe someone here would want to make em for me for some extra cash?

EDIT:

Better yet, what you guys think about these?

http://www.dallashotrodparts.com/mitsubishi.html

Apparently made out of DOM tubing, which I heard is a little overpriced, but alot better?

EDIT2:

Ok, so been hunting around online, found some more info. Actually found a kit on ebay wondering what you guys think about this now?

It comes with almost everything I had selected from airbagit.com, and I also heard that this seller on ebay was/is in fact, AIM, which I also heard is actually airbagit.com. No confirmation, but looking into it. But anyways, they have a full air bag kit for a mini truck, fbss for under $1000, but its a 3/8" set up, which is not bad, but i wanted to go with a 1/2" set up. But I could always upgrade in the future. I did email the seller asking if there was a possibility of an upgrade, so gonna find out about that.

Anyways, heres the link, let me know what you guys think. Some parts supposedly come with a lifetime warranty as well.
Comes with:
-Bags (lifetime warranty)
-4 link
-c notches
-air tank
-compressor
-lines
-fittings
-brackets/cups
-all wiring
-valves 3/8"
-switch box

This stuff isnt exactly what I had picked out from airbagit.com, but it can get the job done and might be better since I'm still learning. Then when I'm more skilled and know what I'm doing, I can upgrade the valves, lines, fittings, bags, etc. And since I want control arms and drop spindles now, this will keep the price down. Maybe looking at around 1500 for everything instead of $2000+

The only thing that isn't included in this auction that I had on my airbagit.com cart are the drop spindles... Everything else is included in this kit, just a little smaller lines/fittings.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Air-Ride ... 500wt_1182
denraweb

Postby LethalEthan » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:36 pm

Dallas hotrod parts had some problems in the past. I think he's got it straightened out now. The pics on that page are actually of my old truck (now belonging to johnboy) He traded DHP stock arms for tube arms so he'll be able to tell you what he thinks of them. I believe they worked out ok. Think about your bag placement on the rear. Bag over axle seems to be easier but i've heard bag on bar provides better ride quality and more lift. Bag on bar would require stonger 4 link bars vs. bag over axle.

heres a good article about rear suspension setup. http://sporttruck.automotive.com/66820/ ... index.html

LethalEthan
VIP
VIP

Postby denraweb » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:19 pm

Sweet. After some research and reading over the link you provided, I have decided that bag on bar (BOB as I found some people call it :P) would be best. From what I read from numerous sources, it does create better ride quality as well as more lift. So I think I'm gonna go with that. Now I just gotta figure out what more I need to do the bag on bar set up. Do you know what the lower bars are called the bag will be mounted to?
denraweb

Postby denraweb » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:11 am

OMFG I'm learing. I have really been learing about 4 link and bag on bar set ups. I can see now (at least I think) that a 4 link set up can be made, with the outer bars being use for the bags right?

This is a TRIANGULATED 4 link right? With a bag on bar set up?
And this is a parallel 4 link? With a bag over/on axle set up?

And damn this video is good. Simple and lets you really see how a 4 link works. If im not mistaken, the bags will go on the two outer bars right?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6s88d2FbPE
denraweb

Postby LethalEthan » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:20 am

you are correct. with a bag on bar setup the bags will be mounted to the bottom 4 link bars. both those pics you posted are labeled correctly. But in the second one they are using cylinders and they are actually mounted behind the axle, same concept really except on a normal bag over axle setup the bottom of the bag would mount on top of the axle, and the top of the bag would mount to the frame. good to see your learning some new stuff. Bag setups can get complicated so its a good idea to know where your going and how you want to do it before you actually start.

LethalEthan
VIP
VIP

Postby denraweb » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:46 pm

Yea I'm actually excited. There is one thing I was thinking about doing, and thats basically the exact set up in the first pic, but with a little modification. Seeing as they did a 4 link bag on bar set up, i can almost follow to the tee. The thing Im gonna prolly do different is the inner/upper 4 link bars I'm gonna have straight instead of bent like they did (mostly cuz I have no idea where to get em bent around here), and the mounting will obviously be diff because I'd have to clear the bags/brackets. The other thing I might do differently is place the outer 4 link arms on the other side of the frame instead of on the inside, they will be on the outside. Reason for that is because I want to clear up some room because I think I'm gonna go with 2 5 gallon tanks, one on each side of the driveline. Although I don't actually have a mighty max yet, so I have no idea how that's gonna pan out for clearance. If there's enough clearance on the outside of the frame then I can just put the tanks there instead and have all 4 links between the frame. Also what's a panhard bar for? I see them in some kits with 4 links, but others do not have them which leads me to believe they are not a necessity. Judging by the name I would say it has something to do with the rear axle moving too much in one direction?

As for the pic of the parallel, I did notice the air cylinders, not bags, but was the only 4 link parallel setup with bags not on bar that I could find lol. All the pics I found had triangulated 4 link set ups, which makes me believe its more common/practical?

Oh also or all the 4 link tabs, bag brackets, front pie cutting/rewelding, etc., a lincoln mig welder will be find to do those jobs right? I dont have to have anything tig welded unless I'm building custom control arms or something like that right?

So all the writeups I saw on 4 link never say anything about specific measurements for the 4 link tabs to be welded. Does this mean as long as everything is evenly welded at equal distances, it should be fine?
denraweb

Next

Return to Suspension / Lowering