Weak brakes

Weak brakes

Postby shield88mm » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:08 pm

I just got my truck and noticed that I had to pretty much floor the brakes for them to work. If I pumped the pedal it would be a little less but still way down. I attributed this to a faulty master cylinder, replaced it and I pretty much have the same brake response.

88 MM 2.0 stock

No brake fluid leaks anywhere. In reading the manual I found there is a load sensing proportioning valve. Is this or are there any other common parts that cause this problem?
shield88mm

Engine Size: 2.0
What year vehicle do you own?: 1988

Re: Weak brakes

Postby prospect » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:26 pm

prospect

Engine Size: 2.6

Postby shield88mm » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:36 am

Thanks I got some good info from that post.

I'm going to replace the rear brakes. If this doesn't work I'm going to just redo all the lines.

Does anyone know of the importance of the load sensing proportion valve? I am installing Gabriel Load Carriers in the back and I have a standard load of about 1/2 a ton (tools).

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/common/enlargedImageOverlay.jsp?prodDescription=Gabriel+Load+Carrier+/+Shock/Strut+-+Rear&prodImageURL=http%3A//contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/aub/43048/image&imageURLList=%5B%5D
shield88mm

Postby lady Ram 50 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:34 pm

The load sensing pro valve, is supposed to send more stopping power to the rear depending on the loaded bed weight of the truck. Keeps them from locking up under heavier loads..not really needed if you dont plan on carrying much in the bed.
lady Ram 50

What year vehicle do you own?: 1987

Postby shield88mm » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:53 am

I carry about 500 lbs of stuff back there, and I just upgraded rear shocks to gabriel load carrier coil overs. Their supposed to add 1000 lb capacity. I don't know if that matters to the curb weight for the prop valve.

Anyway, I have replaced the following now:
Front rotors
Front calipers
Rear drums
rear shoes
rear hardware

Now my problem is when I brake hard, the rear swings out to the driver side. I did make a dumb mistake in adjusting the star wheel with the parking brake on for the driver side, and now that I think about it I released the brake before doing the passenger rear side. So here's my diagnosis. The driver side rear brake is loose, and the pass rear is doing all the work causing it to drift to the driver side? So tomorrow I will readjust the driver side rear and check it out.
shield88mm

Postby lady Ram 50 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:05 am

yeah with 500lbs in the bed, you will need that valve.....you can usually find a universal adjustable pro valve on ebay for pretty cheap, problem with that is, you would have to re-adjust whenever you unloaded the truck . Your problem with the rear swing can be caused by the proportioning valve as well, if its not working right.
lady Ram 50

What year vehicle do you own?: 1987

Return to Brake Systems