Noise Concern

Noise Concern

Postby MightyMax » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:36 pm

89 2.6 4wd mm 5spd.. so the brake lights been on for awhile, but no problems. then tonight all the sudden i hear this binding sound from the rear. idk if its gears of brakes or something but it just makes this clunk/ bind. i havnt even investigated yet but seein if anyone has feedback. the truck drives fine highway but it seems like at parking lot speeds it does it the most.
the starting line-up
MightyMax
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 2.6
What year vehicle do you own?: 1989

Re: Noise Concern

Postby natureboy » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:42 pm

If you have the 2 piece driveshaft I'd check the center carrier bearing and all the u-joints while you're at it. Might even be as simple as loose flange bolts at the rear diff-had that happen right after I bought mine. Brand new driveshaft and they missed tightening the flange bolts!
87 Ram 50 long bed, 2.6l rebuilt, 5 spd, 4x4
natureboy
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 2.6l
What year vehicle do you own?: 1987

Postby RusTy Max » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:37 pm

Usually if the brake light is on it's because the brake fluid is low. As for the rear end, take the cover off and check it. I think to remove the drive shaft is (4) 14MM bolts and then I thing 10-15 12MM bolt to remove the third member... change the gasket while your there... ($5) and visually inspect everything... replace the gear oil as well... about 2 hrs. worth of work and about $20. You'll have your answer!
RusTy Max

Engine Size: 2.4L
What year vehicle do you own?: 1992

Postby netstat » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:09 pm

not trying to threadjack, but how much play are we supposed to have in the rear diff? mine seems a little loose by my standards. you can turn the drive shaft back and forth with noticeable movement before you actually feel it bind against something. if thats a bad thing, how expensive of a repair am i looking at?
netstat
VIP
VIP

What year vehicle do you own?: 1991

Postby RusTy Max » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:36 pm

Well if it's a third member problem it can be remedied for roughly $35+ (I got a posi rear dif third member at a yard for $35) it its your rear drive axles, that's a different story. I'd say doing some investigating and let us know what you find, we can help take it from there.
RusTy Max

What year vehicle do you own?: 1992

Postby MightyMax » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:33 pm

well i just went out there and gave her a quick look, but its so cold out there. i saw that the pinion seal is leaking... again! already replaced it about 8 months ago. but its too cold to be wrenchin. once we get a nice day ill go to town and let you all know. if you have any other ideas please feel free to post em. thanks alot guys
the starting line-up
MightyMax
VIP
VIP

Postby 77amc » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:09 pm

It sounds to me is you had some kind of leak in either one or both wheel cyls. That would cause the sensor in the res to show the light. (being too low) Since the rears don't give a way to "pull" like the fronts, you don't feel it that much and keep driving on and on.
And after a good soaking contamination of the shoes, they tend to overheat (since they slip and don't grab) and eventually bind usually bluing the drum/rotor anealing it so they don't last that much longer after.
Pull each drum and fix accordingly. Put a bucket under each one and spray a couple cans of brake-cleaner so you won't have residual brake fluid contaminating the new shoes. That is after you put the new parts on.

E
77amc
VIP
VIP

Postby MightyMax » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:25 pm

so wanted to let you guys know... the parking brake lever was bent but i dont think that was the noise... the wheel cylinder was leaking... not major. and the rear fluid was low... fixed all problems and she rides like a dream. also, u-joint was ok. thanks for the help guys :) whatever the issue was, shes fixed now.
the starting line-up
MightyMax
VIP
VIP

Return to Brake Systems