choke problems

choke problems

Postby 83powerram50dan » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:32 am

my 1983 dodge ram 50 the truck runs but the choke does not open on it if u move the flap peace in the carb it just idles up i unpluged the wire that goes to the carb an after that it idles down when u move it but it still does not open unless u give it gass than it closes back any ideas what could cause it
83powerram50dan

Engine Size: 2.6
What year vehicle do you own?: 1983

Re: choke problems

Postby Ramit » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:59 pm

Are you dealing with the stock Mikuni carb? If so,I don't believe they came with an electric choke in 83.They didn't use an electric choke until 85.Yours should have what is referred to as a water or coolant operated choke.The choke is operated by coolant running through the carb. As the engine and coolant warms up, the choke slowly opens up.If you have a coolant hose on the back side of the carb(about as big around as your little finger),then you know for sure that it has a water choke.For the most part,it is not adjustable, and has been pre-set at the factory.
If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you it's yours to keep.If it doesn't come back, hunt it down..and kill it
Ramit
Donator
Donator

Postby 83powerram50dan » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:20 am

than what would cause it not to open right? could it be the fact i don't have the thermostat in the truck ?
83powerram50dan

Postby Ramit » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:44 pm

Not having the thermostat installed may very well be the problem.I also have an 83 Power Ram with the stock Mikuni carb, and I can tell you that the choke will fully open well before the thermostat opens.Why don't you have the thermostat installed?Over heating problem?Also, check and make sure that the rack and pinion gears that operate the choke are all hooked up properly and not binding. Remove the air cleaner assembly, get a flashlight. and really check that everything is hooked up.Hold the throttle open(engine off) while moving the choke plate back and forth.There is a small connecting rod that runs from the choke down towards the throttle linkage and snaps into a hole in the linkage,make sure it's connected.Let us know how everything turns out.Good luck!
If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you it's yours to keep.If it doesn't come back, hunt it down..and kill it
Ramit
Donator
Donator

Postby 83powerram50dan » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:31 pm

ya i took it out being it was over heating an after that i mean every thing has been working lately untill the other day an there is a kink in the hose that goes into the carb an i am gonna replaces tomarrow but when i took it off alot of water came out ... and thanks for the help
83powerram50dan

Postby Ramit » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:58 pm

If you drain about a quart or so of coolant out of your radiator first,when you disconnect the hose from the back of the carb,you will only loose a couple of drops of coolant.Be sure to replace that thermostat and housing gasket when you do the new hose.
Ramit
Donator
Donator

Postby 83powerram50dan » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:01 am

well i finley got the choke to work right but now every time i let off the clutch the truck chokes down like its not getting enough gas an it will also like cut out when i give it gas period like the carb aint takeing
83powerram50dan

Postby Ramit » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:17 pm

In your original post,you said you unplugged the wire that goes to the carb. I don't know what you unplugged, but did you plug it back in?Also,make sure all of the vacuum lines are hooked up in their proper places.Did you have this issue at all before you started messing with the choke?When is the last time you replaced the fuel filter?After the truck sits there and warms up and the choke is fully opened, how is the idle? High, low, smooth,rough?Gimme more details!
Ramit
Donator
Donator

Postby 83powerram50dan » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:52 am

yes i pluged the wire back up and every thing is the way it was before i had to do all the work to it and than it run good the only thing that had been replaced is the coil and the plugs but i just changed the fuel filter and the air filter it idles smooth when the choke opend up at about 800 rpms but when you give it gas it seams like it seams like it aint takeing its gas and it also dosent have the power to pull its self up a little hill in my drive way
83powerram50dan

Postby Ramit » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:18 am

Sounds like a fuel pump problem to me.You need to do a fuel pressure test on it.I had a similar situation on my truck several months back.It would idle just fine,but when it needed more fuel, it would cut out from fuel starvation.Only had about 3lbs. of fuel pressure when it should have a minimum of 4.5lbs.Get a Haynes repair manual if you don't already have one.It explains in detail how to do a fuel pressure test.I'm lucky,my wife works for Haynes, so I get all of my manuals for free.
Ramit
Donator
Donator

Return to Possible Fuel Problems