90 max 2.4 idle/ run issues

90 max 2.4 idle/ run issues

Postby yosemite » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:22 am

I have a 1990 Mighty Max 2.4, starts fine, when warm it's Idle pulsates or "hunts" a few cycles then goes to fast Idle, and most recently I set out from the house , started down the access ramp, and itstalled, or nearly, as if someone were turning the ign off and on, now it is pretty much a lawn ornament, have driven a few times since, still pulsates, but afraid to go far, my initial thoughts were te IAC, but that was berore the off on situation, any suggestions? and BTW Happy NEW Year
yosemite

Engine Size: 2.4
What year vehicle do you own?: 1990

Re: 90 max 2.4 idle/ run issues

Postby 4doorciv » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:43 am

Happy new years and welcome to the board. My g63b would do that at a certain rpm all the time. I found out I had a small coolant leak and because of that I would get this bucking between 2.5k and 3.5k rpm oy on light throttle application. Fill up with water and I was good to go. Only a small hiccup at 3k. I would start out with the easy stuff like check all your fluids and check your ecu for anythink that looks wierd like something verry small dropped in ther and made a puddle. Then I would do rutine maintenance like cap and rotor, spark plugs, wires, fuel filter, all that good stuff. Hope this would fix things.
-Ryan-
1989 mighty max 4g63 turbo. -down-
1995 Eagle talon tsi awd. -daily-
1992 Honda civic b18c1. -sold-
4doorciv
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 4g63
What year vehicle do you own?: 1989

Postby yosemite » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:50 am

previous to the run don't run episode, it ran good off idle, but as said when warm would pulsate at idle about 6 cycles then go to fast idle, ran fine above idle
yosemite

Postby LSR Mike » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:09 pm

lots of possibilities, IAT, water temp sensor, could be a throttle position sensor also. checked for any codes?
LSR Mike
#847 F/BMMP
SCTA-BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Bonneville Record Holder
LSR Mike

Engine Size: 2.4L
What year vehicle do you own?: 1992

Postby pennyman1 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:46 pm

Your ECM could also cause this issue - caps dry out on the curcuit board and cause all kinds of problems. With the age of these trucks, an ecm recap is damn near essential to have it run right.
Pennyman1
Living the D-50 life since 1980
The best Dodge that Dodge never made
pennyman1
VIP
VIP

Postby yosemite » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:56 am

back again, replaced pump,whic was not needed, replaced relay, still no run, pulled puter and opened, never seen one so clean, no signs of cap leakage, but microntroller appears to have a small crack in top of case, not sure if the cheapie rebuild guys would consider this rebuildable, I have a chance to pick up a used 1 from a 91 mm, similarly equipped but will it work on my 90, connector is same, sensors etc on both same, wiring schematic looks same part number different inside case, some components different, are the differences due to epa regs changng year to year? will different years physically interchang and be runnable? Expiring Minds Want To Know, I know you could write a book,or several, about the things I do not know about this , if someone has , where can I get a copy???
yosemite

Return to Possible Fuel Problems