Carb troubles (I think)

Carb troubles (I think)

Postby shield88mm » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:03 pm

I have an 88 2.0 MM stock carb

When I gradually accellerate there are no problems (like granny driving)

If I hit the gas hard then it the power (not the electrical, the horse kind) drops for a second then picks up really quick. This happens the worst in first gear and gets better the higher gear I'm in.

I'm thinking that the carb is getting flooded when I hit the gas hard, which is causing the drop in power, but not sure what I need to do to fix it.

Choke setting?
Carb adjustments??
shield88mm

Engine Size: 2.0
What year vehicle do you own?: 1988

Re: Carb troubles (I think)

Postby marlin3030hntr » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:19 am

does it do this only when its cold or all the time? is it stick or auto?, what you got your timing set at and have you played around with carb adjustment and does it ever back -fire? why i ask is it could be alot of things from it flooding to having an accelerator pump problem, timing could be too slow or too fast its a fine line either way or your vaccuum advance could not be working right.
-80 Arrow Truck(daily driver)
-64 Scout SOA conversion w/ chevy v8 and th350 swap(4x4 hunting rig)
-77 f100 w/ 400m(ass haulin pickup)
-67 Plymouth Belvedere orig. 318(8 yr project car and going)
-86 Mustang GT(weekend cruiser)
marlin3030hntr
VIP
VIP

What year vehicle do you own?: 1980

Postby shield88mm » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:07 am

Well here's the story:

Just bought the truck about a month ago. Failed smog - It was smoking bad and had extremely high nox (like 5 times the limit). Did a tune up (wires, plugs, cap, rotor, air filter, oil change, pcv). Took engine apart replaced rings/gaskets/seals, timing belts. Changed carb to a used one the guy threw in with the truck.

After rebuild, still having power drop at WOT, replaced cat (magnaflo) and muffler (cherry bomb), still loosing power (cat was gone anyway and lodged pieces into muffler). Checked timing was at like 15 BTDC. Changed to 8 BTDC (per book) runs pretty good and does not bog down when at WOT now. However, still feels like it's missing just a little of power(but I don't know what it feels like at 100% though). Yes I know it's a 4 banger with like only 125 hp or so, but still.

I checked acc pump diaphragm, it's putting out a steady stream. The only thing I notice now is that that the butterfly (the one at the top of the carb) does not seem to operate correctly. Just moves about at will and is stuck in a semi open position. I haven't looked deeper yet but I assume the spring that holds it in place is gone or broken etc. Would this cause a lack in power or is it more for idling properly? Plus any ideas where to get a carb rebuild kit? Can't find one anywhere. Are there any relatively inexpensive after market carbs (*california)? I found an OE reman http://www.fcproducts.com/parts_catalog/CRY284.htm here, for the best price I've seen anywhere.

Side note (i also replaced master cylinder, calipers, drums, shoes, gabriel utlra front and gabriel load carrier rear shocks) I should have made a build thread ; ) with all the work I've put in to this thing.

Next up change tranny and diff fluid and tranny gaskets (leaking a little/lot), might put a K & N. wheels, then paint job.
shield88mm

What year vehicle do you own?: 1988

Postby marlin3030hntr » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:08 am

well if you choke butterflies arent staying open when the choke is all warmed up the choke could actually just need to be adjusted, depending on where you are(cali has the most anal smog laws, luckily i live in AZ) I can give you some tips on passing emissions pm me with any questions glad to help if i can
-80 Arrow Truck(daily driver)
-64 Scout SOA conversion w/ chevy v8 and th350 swap(4x4 hunting rig)
-77 f100 w/ 400m(ass haulin pickup)
-67 Plymouth Belvedere orig. 318(8 yr project car and going)
-86 Mustang GT(weekend cruiser)
marlin3030hntr
VIP
VIP

What year vehicle do you own?: 1980

Return to Possible Fuel Problems