Messed up Miss

Messed up Miss

Postby theRobot » Thu May 13, 2010 7:42 pm

So, I drive a 1990 Max, 2.4 Fuel injected, I swapped a motor out another truck, cause the one I had needed to be decked. So this engine has been running absolutely great up until recently, It's developed a misfire.

This engine did sit up for a while, so the rubbers on the block should've been replaced but I was hurried, and I didn't do it, I will wind up doing it at a later date now that I'm jobless and have plenty of time.
My problem is with this misfire. It misses on Cyl 1, and I know it's 1, because the "plug/injector removal" check, pull the wires/injector till you find the one that makes no difference, that's the one that's missing.
Here's the problem, after pulling the plug wire from one, on the distributor, the engine shows no difference, upon reinstalling the wire, the miss goes away, and the engine runs fine.

Any ideas?
theRobot

Re: Messed up Miss

Postby bladesmith » Fri May 14, 2010 6:20 am

At a guess, you may have a bad connection in the #1 plug wire.

Cheers,

Michael
bladesmith

Engine Size: 2.6
What year vehicle do you own?: 1985

Postby theRobot » Fri May 14, 2010 10:57 am

Ok. A little more info. I did some more dabbling today.

Changed the distributor to a known good. Incase the position sensor had anything to do with it.

Now I'm under the assumption it may be a bad spraying injector. After re-installing the plug wire, the miss goes away, I can slowly rev up the engine, and it does fine but for a few shimmys(more missing, but not bad).
When I rev the throttle quicky, the engine pops. And it begins missing again.

My only guess, is the bad spray pattern won't burn right, so it causes the misfire and fouls the plug causing the miss. But when I remove the wire I'm increasing the distance and is making a voltage increase thus making a new spark happen on the fouled plug. So the engine runs good again.

Sound right?
theRobot

Postby TurboMax » Fri May 14, 2010 6:53 pm

If the injector is bad try switching the injector from another cylinder and see if the miss moves to that cylinder. I'd also do the same with the plug wire just to make sure its not bad also. You could also check the injector pigtail and make sure its not dirty or corroded.
TurboMax

Engine Size: 2.6T

Return to Ignition, Timing, Ping or Smoking.