Cylinder not firing

Cylinder not firing

Postby Rangerbro » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:58 am

One of the cylinders is not firing on my truck. Wires are good. Other than that I am at a loss on what to do./

Please help!!

Also the card is making a hissing noise. Is that normal?
Rangerbro

Engine Size: 2.6L
What year vehicle do you own?: 1989

Re: Cylinder not firing

Postby camoit » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:46 pm

On the carb is it comming from inside of the carb or is it a vacume leek to the out side. Inside is a normal thing.
As far as not firing on the 1 cylinder is the spark getting to the plug? If you pull the wire while it's running does it click to the block? If so pull the plug and take a look at it. I have seen plugs that break the insulator and it slides down the electrode and makes a tunnel for the spark to flow through to the ground. When I looked at it looked just fine. but when I put it in the engine it would not fire. Then I just happend to here it when i shook it. That was when i saw what was going on. Turn it upside down it looked fine. Turn it over as if it was in the engine and the center electroid and gap would go away. It was the strangest thing I found in 20 some years working on cars. And the only one I have ever seen do it.
Here is my BUILD THREAD.
Live Class 6 off road race truck build. CLICK HERE FOR FEED.

http://www.onsiteconcrete.net
camoit
Admin
Admin

Engine Size: 2.6L
What year vehicle do you own?: 1980

Re: Cylinder not firing

Postby pennyman1 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:07 pm

I have seen the resistor in a plug open, causing a no fire - the plug looks fine. Champions were notorious for this in the 80's
Pennyman1
Living the D-50 life since 1980
The best Dodge that Dodge never made
pennyman1
VIP
VIP

Return to Ignition, Timing, Ping or Smoking.