Please help before I waste money that could be spent lowerin

Please help before I waste money that could be spent lowerin

Postby samario1984 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:57 pm

I will try to describe this the best that I can... I just bought the truck knowing it was running a little rough assuming it needed a tune up. Well as I looked closer I realized everything looked pretty damn new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter, even the fuel filter looks new. The truck sputters a bit and then clears up in the higher rpms sort of like it is misfiring. The previous owner had the timing belt changed and thinks maybe the belt wasn't changed properly. How possible is it for the belt to be one tooth off? Is there any way to check to see if it is in fact off a tooth if so how? Before I tackled that project I would like to check the timing any tips/ how tos on doing that? What else could it be? I really do not want to mess with timing belts as I have never changed one before so I would like to try out all other possible scenarios before I go the timing belt route! I paid 450 for the truck it has 130k 1 owner I would like to keep it for awhile..... Here is a picture
Last edited by samario1984 on Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
samario1984

Engine Size: 2.4
What year vehicle do you own?: 1994

Re: 94 2.4 max rough running

Postby camoit » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:03 pm

Timming belts are some what easy. The first thing to do is turn it over to TDC on the crank marks. then look at the cam mark. There should be a round dot or some other mark that will indicate timming. Genral ruel of thumb is the mark will be eather up or down or left or right to the head. AKA: 12 or 6 clock /3 or 9 It could be a vacume leek or a EGR that is stuck open. That would make it run rough at idle. If she is carburated some cleaner in the tank wont hurt. If the belt was changed then some one could have screw that up. So check all the timming marks first and go from there. More info to us will help. Hot, cold, half throttle RPMs when it does it's thing. more is better when asking a mechanic. We are information people. It's somthing we cant help....
Here is my BUILD THREAD.
Live Class 6 off road race truck build. CLICK HERE FOR FEED.

http://www.onsiteconcrete.net
camoit
Admin
Admin

Engine Size: 2.6L
What year vehicle do you own?: 1980

Postby LSR Mike » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:26 am

Timing Marks in White.

manual for the engine

http://mmeierle.com/images/Max/1G%20-%2 ... ENGINE.pdf
LSR Mike
#847 F/BMMP
SCTA-BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Bonneville Record Holder
LSR Mike

Engine Size: 2.4L
What year vehicle do you own?: 1992

Postby samario1984 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:03 pm

Okay some more information on the truck... I ended up buying a manual and checking all of the timing marks and either they are right on or one tooth off. It is sort of tough since it is right in between the 2 marks... In other words it could be one tooth off but i think it is right on... I did a compression check and it came back as 180 on all four cylinders which is ridiculously high.... After googling a little bit it turns out carbon build up causes high compression so I bought some marvin mystery oil same as sea foam and did a carbon cleaning... It smoked like no other and it still runs like crap. Did another compression test after that and it is still reading 180! Could the timing belt being off one tooth cause it to read that high? The sputter/hesitation/misfire is at low rpms once i get on it it will rev up for the most part. I did just buy a new coil it is coming tomorrow but i really do not think that is the cause. I tested it per the manual and it is out of the "specs." I cleaned the living crap out of the egr which was filled with carbon...
samario1984

Re: Please help before I waste money that could be spent low

Postby camoit » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:54 pm

Well you were not clear if it was on timming or not with the cam. They eather are or are not. Whats the timming set at? how many deg of advance?
Here is my BUILD THREAD.

camoit
Admin
Admin

Postby samario1984 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:06 pm

Timing is set at 5 degrees before tdc... Just put new coil in and still not running right....
samario1984

Postby camoit » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:22 pm

samario1984 wrote:Okay some more information on the truck... I ended up buying a manual and checking all of the timing marks and either they are right on or one tooth off. It is sort of tough since it is right in between the 2 marks... In other words it could be one tooth off but i think it is right on

Is it on timming or off? Also try and bump the timming up to 8 deg.
Is it carb or FI?
Also what RPM is it having the problem?
Here is my BUILD THREAD.

camoit
Admin
Admin

Postby Merritt » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:46 am

I'm no help but it sounds like me and you are having the exact same problem. I'll be keeping an eye on your thread and hopefully you get it figured out.
Merritt

Postby samario1984 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:19 pm

Fixed my truck turned out injector number 4 was CLOGGED!!! I mean completely clogged.....
samario1984

Postby Merritt » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:09 am

I saw that you had fixed it on maxd50scene, how did you check the injectors?
Merritt

Return to Ignition, Timing, Ping or Smoking.