Newbie Questions

Newbie Questions

Postby 1985ram50royal » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:19 pm

Picked up an 85 Ram50 Royal last month (with only 76K original miles), and have quickly developed a much deeper appreciation for diesels. The forums here have been such a great help, so thanks to all that post. The truck is great, and will be a project over the next couple years restoring it. A new fuel filter, glow plugs, alternator, fuel lines, tires, and she is feeling better. Still want to get the engine tweaked a bit more (elephant hose mod and Gallium mods coming next), and then onto suspension and brakes.

Ok, onto my questions-

Anyone run biodiesel on the 2.3L 4D55 engine? If so, did you install a throwaway fuel filter inline before the main filter in the engine compartment? I know the BD will knock a bunch of stuff loose, but given the mileage I am hoping that it won't do too many bad things, thoughts? already ran vitron in place of the rubber lines. I am assuming a little hit on the power side but anyone have any experience with it on this engine?

I'd like to check and set the fuel pump timing, I know I need the pre-stroke adapter, anyone know where I can find one (plus a gauge that would fit)? the internets has not been my friend on this one.

thanks a bunch

george
1985ram50royal

Engine Size: 2.3L
What year vehicle do you own?: 1985

Re: Newbie Questions

Postby TotallyBalistic » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:37 am

like to take the opportunity to welcome you to the site. im very sure the diesel gurus of the forum will chime in pretty quick with some help for ya. we only have a handful of diesel guys here but they are very knowledgeable, glad to see another diesel on the site. hope you enjoy
Chuck Norris doesnt read books, he stares them down until he gets the information he wants.
TotallyBalistic
Good Times
Good Times

Engine Size: 2.0
What year vehicle do you own?: 1988

Re: Newbie Questions

Postby mikewarme » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:10 am

Ebay for the prestroke adapter. Same tool as Volkswagons. Also yes use a pre-filter and change fuel hoses to bio-diesel friendly type. Let me know on restoration parts. I have all the weatherstripping etc. No china stuff, only OEM parts
mikewarme

Engine Size: 2.3
What year vehicle do you own?: 1983

Return to Injection and Fuel Systems