biowhatever?

Re: biowhatever?

Postby Lamb50 » Sat May 08, 2010 2:40 pm

Hey y'all- newbie here- I used to hang out on the old mightyd50 and just finally found this....

I rebuilt my 4d55 last year and have run it for 18 months on nothing but 100% homebrew biodiesel. No problems at all. No disrespect intended, Muzak, but I gotta disagree about biodiesel being a PITA- I collect and process about 1000 gallons of wvo and process it with no major problems. Titration determines the level of free fatty acids, not water content- I actually water wash my biodiesel, then air dry it, and end up with pretty close to astm 6751 quality fuel.

Personally, I would probably not try 100% wvo- I know it can be done, but my buddy who rebuilds injectors says that he sees a lot of trashed injectors from folks who don't get the water out of their wvo. And of course, cold weather wirdness. I can run b100 down to the low 30's without much problem.

BTW- I use all my leftover in the fall to heat my house- it runs in an oil burner furnace no prob!
Lamb50

Engine Size: 4d55
What year vehicle do you own?: 1985

Postby camoit » Sat May 08, 2010 9:56 pm

I also found out here in the liberal country of California if you make bio diesel there are several things that you need to have. 1 is a permit. 2 is a double wall containment tank for the storage of the used oil. 3 fire inspection. 4 hazmat paper work. 5 no more then 500 gallons of finished fuel stored on site. 6 keep track of how much fuel is produced and pay the road use tax.
Here is my BUILD THREAD.
Live Class 6 off road race truck build. CLICK HERE FOR FEED.

http://www.onsiteconcrete.net
camoit
Admin
Admin

Engine Size: 2.6L
What year vehicle do you own?: 1980

Postby Lamb50 » Sun May 09, 2010 4:58 am

No doubt, Camoit- can't avoid the tax man, no matter where you are. Out here in the Midwest, we don't have nearly the restrictions (if you live in the country) but it's not getting any easier, from a legal standpoint- that's for sure.
Lamb50

Engine Size: 4d55
What year vehicle do you own?: 1985

Postby muzak » Tue May 11, 2010 8:54 am

wrngwae wrote:i have thought about a shell and tube or plate heat exchanger. the reason i run so cold is the alternator.....its stock and barly can power the lights and accy of the raider. the auto trans rear wiper a/c rear defrost ect ect takes alot away from the alternator. than those heaters kick in i can drop below 12 vollts easy... so the thought has crossed my mind.

See if Warme can get you a 4D56 90A, the difference is night and day. If you have the single pulley setup it's a bit tricky. I went and got the single pulley only to find out it makes the belt too short. But modifying the slide made it work fine.

My injection line heater pulls about 12A.

Lamb50 wrote: I rebuilt my 4d55 last year and have run it for 18 months on nothing but 100% homebrew biodiesel. No problems at all. No disrespect intended, Muzak, but I gotta disagree about biodiesel being a PITA- I collect and process about 1000 gallons of wvo and process it with no major problems. Titration determines the level of free fatty acids, not water content- I actually water wash my biodiesel, then air dry it, and end up with pretty close to astm 6751 quality fuel.

Personally, I would probably not try 100% wvo- I know it can be done, but my buddy who rebuilds injectors says that he sees a lot of trashed injectors from folks who don't get the water out of their wvo. And of course, cold weather wirdness. I can run b100 down to the low 30's without much problem.

You'll notice I said for the casual homebrewer, what's your setup? If you're serious about knowing how to do it it can be done without problem no question. And yes in CA there's a lot of extra hassle. FFA levels that are too high are indicative of suspended water in oil that will not be countered by lye, my explanation was oversimplified, but the reason to eliminate the FFA is to also get rid of the water as I understand it. The advantage in general with BD is you can use significantly worse oil than you would for SVO.

But running BD cold with no heat (below 40*) will do damage in the long run. Granted if you properly eliminate water it will take longer, but the thicker viscosity fuel will eventually clog your system just as badly. As I mentioned it wouldn't take much to eliminate the risk. But I wouldn't rely solely on a fuel filter heater that's only designed to keep the fuel above 40*. By the time fuel gets into those injection lines bare it gets mighty cold.
muzak
VIP
VIP

Postby greasyglass » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:03 am

i was just curious as to what all you guys are burning. i have been burning wvo, bio, wmo, tranny oil... just about anything. i have probably had over a hundred diesels in the past 6 years and well over a million veggie miles and btu's !!! my mighty max was already converted to a 2 tank system when i got it and it loves veg and bio. so does my turbo rabbit truck(s), my bmw 524td(s), my 94 cummins, my 75 vw westy turbodiesel, my 71 beetle, and soon my 72 type 3 squareback. i am a glassblower/bioengineer from ct and i work for a company called farmington biofuel that i helped start up and now i bring them thousands of gallons of oil every month to make astm spec bio with. i dont remember the last time that i went to a gas station to do anything but take a shit.
greasyglass

Engine Size: 2.3
What year vehicle do you own?: 1983

Postby wrngwae » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:56 am

greasyglass wrote: i dont remember the last time that i went to a gas station to do anything but take a shit.

LMAO
!!!!Real Trucks Don't Need Spark Plugs!!!!
or Chinese parts!!!!
764  768 
wrngwae
Super Mod
Super Mod

What year vehicle do you own?: 1987

Postby camoit » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:22 pm

Now that the winter is comming back I will put up picts of my waste oil heater I built from an old water heater and a frying pan. It runs on used oils. So i guess it falls under this post. See I can be green,,, even though I can make it put out solid black smoke like a tractor pull competition.
Here is my BUILD THREAD.
Live Class 6 off road race truck build. CLICK HERE FOR FEED.

http://www.onsiteconcrete.net
camoit
Admin
Admin

Engine Size: 2.6L
What year vehicle do you own?: 1980

Postby wrngwae » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:48 am

i would like to see that.....
!!!!Real Trucks Don't Need Spark Plugs!!!!
or Chinese parts!!!!
764  768 
wrngwae
Super Mod
Super Mod

What year vehicle do you own?: 1987

Previous

Return to Injection and Fuel Systems