No fuel to filter.

No fuel to filter.

Postby rednec_d » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:53 pm

Ok i pulled my blue diesel into the shop before snow flew so i could work on it. Mainly i was doing fender change and cosmetic stuff but need to figure out the fuel problem i have. The previous owner said it would not pull fuel from the tank and ended up running a line from a gas can in the back. It pulls fuel from the can with no problem so i have fuel at the filter currently. What would be inbetween the inlet line to the filter housing to the tank? I blew air through the line and it made the tank swell up? Is the a vent on the tank that could be plugged? I know there is no vent on the fuel cap as my gasser 84 didn't have one and had to vent to keep tank from expanding. Should i put some fuel in it and hook up to see if it pulls some or none at all.

Sorry for the long post and many questions. Just want to get this figured out so i can go foreward and plate the truck so i can drive it.
I'm not the smartest crayon in the fridge, but I have internet.
rednec_d
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 2.3
What year vehicle do you own?: 1984

Re: No fuel to filter.

Postby mikewarme » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:25 am

Is it the stock tank? How could you swell up a steel tank? Remove the tank erik. Take some pics. Sounds like something was rigged
mikewarme

What year vehicle do you own?: 1983

Postby cdalejef » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:11 am

It could be as simple as a bad gas cap. Try it without the cap in place.
89 Mazda B2600i soon to be 4d56 turbo diesel.
99 Mitsubishi Montero SR
cdalejef

Postby rednec_d » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:00 pm

Yes it is the stock tank as far as i can see. I blew air into the fuel hose that connects to the filter housing. Air went through to the tank but i heard popping kinda like if you blow air into a milk jug. I pulled the gas cap off and tried and did not do this time. I placed a piece of tape hanging over the opening to see if it moved when i applied air and it did so the air exited the filler neck.

Ultimatly could a vent be blocked or cap sealing the tank causing the truck to create a vacuum inside the tank? With enough pressure i would believe this could cause it to not be able to pull fuel. Should i just put some fuel in the tank and try it or pull the tank and inspect first Mike?
I'm not the smartest crayon in the fridge, but I have internet.
rednec_d
VIP
VIP

What year vehicle do you own?: 1984

Return to Injection and Fuel Systems