Turbo questions

Turbo questions

Postby rednec_d » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:40 pm

Ok guys after being lost and in the dark since mightyd50 caught an ETD i found and joined here. I have my diesel swap basically done with only a few things to button up. For those of you who don't know i put the 84 TD in place of my 84 2.6. I got my waste gate acuator from wrgwae and it works with a blower on a air hose. I can't get it to reach the lever on the turbo. When i put he acuator on and operated it with my air hose it pulled the turbo from the exhaust manifold. This was good because it showed me my exhaust leak was two missing nuts from the previous idiot owner. Anyway it also showed the lever goes from a 6 o'clock position to a 5 o'clock position. From what pictures i have seen it should go from the 7 to the 6? Is this correct and how do i move it back? Also how do i make a vacume line for the acuator and where should it come from. I wired it back open to test fire and test my tranny but hate to leave it that way. I want it to fuction like factory.

Another issue is that the truck when starting will rev up and die a couple times before it stays running and then it surges, is this the pump timin off? It was ahead two teeth before because the owner did that so i put it back to mark. I know i am new to this site and still new to the diesel but please i need serious help here. My 2.0 86 motor died just recently and i need my diesel now.
I'm not the smartest crayon in the fridge, but I have internet.
rednec_d
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 2.3
What year vehicle do you own?: 1984

Re: Turbo questions

Postby BCDieselD50 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:07 pm

i take it your running a TD04? the line for the vac acuator line should run from one of the 2 little pipes coming out of the little tube coming up to the intake from the turbo... the other line will run to the top of the injection pump.. i hear ya about mightyd50.... they had some good tech there im trying to pull some info from my history and favorites....... if ya need some pics of the factory setup of the turbo and acuator positions pm me
-matt
BCDieselD50

Postby rednec_d » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:46 pm

oh sorry forgot to say there is only one tube on the intake pipe, idk if the pipe is homade or not. can i get like a splitter? whatever factory is for that year is what turbo it is. Im new to diesel motors so i am learning. a pick would help alot too man.
rednec_d
VIP
VIP

Postby wrngwae » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:10 am

ik erick i got ya covered. on your intake that has "turbo" cast in it there should be 2 ports out of it. if it ia an 83 im not too sure on that but. one of the hoses should go to your waist gate actuator and on should go to the top of your fuel pump diaphragm. that is how the fuel pump adjusts for the boost. im fairly certain that adjusts the fuel timing and the amount of fuel being sprayed. but like i said "fairly" certain. hope this helps.oh yea of you need to you can split the single output if you need 2.
!!!!Real Trucks Don't Need Spark Plugs!!!!
or Chinese parts!!!!
764  768 
wrngwae
Super Mod
Super Mod

What year vehicle do you own?: 1987

Postby rednec_d » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:21 pm

nope it comes out of the pipe that bolts to the cast manifold, there is a single nipple there so i may have to split it. This and my clutch not working properly is all that is hanging me up.
rednec_d
VIP
VIP

Postby BCDieselD50 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:26 pm

i didnt realize that you had a 83........ that turbo is a TC05 10a and dosent have wastgate... so the one hose will go to the top of the injector pump... heres some info i grabbed off mighty d50 hope this helps ya abit...... o and whats wrong with your clutch?

The 2.3 4D55 turbo diesel can be found on 83-85 Mitsubishi Pickups and Dodge Ram 50 which came with one of two Turbocharges. The first turbocharger used on the 4D55 engine was a Mitsubishi TC05. The second turbocharger used was a Mitsubishi TD04-09.

Mitsubishi TC05 Specs:
Part number: MD017658
Turbo code: 49168-01202
Used on all '83 model Pickups
Non-wastegated
Journal Bearing
Oil cooled
5cm^2
Max PSI: 12lbs
Max HP and TQ: 80hp and 125ft lbs.

Mitsubishi TD04 Specs:
Parts Number: MD083373
Used on '84-'85 model pickups
Internally Wastegated
Journal Bearing
Oil cooled
4cm^2
Max PSI: 13lbs
Max HP and TQ: 84hp and 136ft lbs.

It is important to note that the TD04 and TC05 turbochargers are interchangeable but the oil supply fitting is different. It is also important to note that the TC05 is noticeably larger than the TD04, but both supposedly provide the same max boost of 13 psi. Rebuild kits are still available for both turbochargers but turbochargers should only be rebuilt by a trained professional with the proper balancing equipment.

Performance differences between the two turbochargers are debateable. But by using common sense it can be determined that the TD04 provides faster spool and less turbo lag due to the wastegate. Pickups equipped with the TD04 are rated as having 4 additional horsepower as well as 11 ft lbs of additional torque when compared to TC05 equipped pickups. Whether the difference in performance is directly related to the turbochargers is unknown at this time.

Maintainence for the 2 turbocharger is similar. Both turbocharges last about 50-70K miles between rebuilds. Simple maintainance and driving habits can reduce the chances of coking and premature bearing and seal wear. The secret is to keep the EGT's as low as possible. Ways to extend the life of the turbo includes:

1. Idling the vehicle for ateast 1 minute before turning off the vehicle.
2. Keeping the rpm's low while driving .
3. If applicable remove the egr system.
4. Use synthetic oil exlusively (no blends or dino oil).
5. Doing an Elephant Hose Mod (EHM) by relocating the crankcase breather hose so it does not run back into the air intake.
6. Add a 2 1/2" free flow exhaust and eliminate the resinator.
7. Properly maintain the cooling system and flush the radiator "annually".
8. Properly maintain your air intake.
9 Add a boost gauge
10. Add a pyrometer so you can monitor EGT's, this is your first line of defense and the most important gauge in your truck.

Things to look for as far as turbocharger wear include, oil leaking from the seals, bent of broken blades and play in the shaft. If you notice any of these problems, it is time for a rebuild.

Upgrades that are known to work and increase performance and turbo life include:

1. Upgrading to a TD04-10T watercooled turbo. This upgrade will require a new turbo, waterpump, as well as additional plumbing that can be purchase from the dealer in Japan. This upgrade will cost you around $900 for parts and fluids, installation is extra. According to ATX, by doing this upgrade you can expect to gain 16hp and 30ft lbs of torque. This will give your truck 100hp and 166ft lbs of torque. It is recommended that you upgrade to a 4D56 head before doing this swap, it is not necessary, just recommended.

2. Adding an intercooler. Intercoolers will greatly reduce EGT's,which will help your turbo run cooler, not to mention adds 4 hp and 11ftlbs of torque. When combined with a watercooled turbo and a few minor pump modifications this setup will produce 104 hp and 177 ft lbs of torque.

Troubleshooting and FAQ's

I think my turbo is working but why can't I hear my turbo spool like a big Powerstoke or Cummins truck?

First, not being able to hear the turbo is quite common and is nothing to be concerned about as long as your truck is making boost.

So, before doing anything, add a mechanical boost gauge to your truck to make sure it is making boost, it should make 13psi under full load. The best way to do this is get the vehicle out on the open road in 4th gear and then step on it. If you fail to make boost, it is time for a rebuild.

So, I am make boost, now what? The reason you may not hearing your turbo is due to the small and restricted exhaust pipe. If you removed the exhaust altogether you will have no problem hearing the turbo. If you add a 2 1/2"-3" exhaust this should help you hear the turbo spool.

Another reason you may not be hearing the turbo spool is your timing maybe off. To address this issue, you will need to make sure the vehicle is timed properly. You may also want to try advancing or retarding the timing a bit to see if that makes a difference in hearing your turbo spool. These are the performance numbers of different turbocharger setups found on 4D55 engines. The numbers do not represent any other modification other than those listed. More power can be gained by tweeking the injection pump, porting the turbo, installing a larger compressor wheel, improving the intake and exhaust, installing stage 2 or stage 3 injectors, porting intake and head, installing a 4D56 head with roller rockers and cam, installing a 4D56 crank shaft, adding propane injection, and installing a Centerforce II clutch to harness all that power.
BCDieselD50

Postby rednec_d » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:40 pm

No its an 84 and there is a wastegate. I just need to figure out how to hook the acuator to the lever on the turbo. The prevous owner had the wastegate wired open. The acuator works but it pushes downward and the way the lever is it would need to push it foreward. Like i said think of it like a clock. My lever is sitting at 6 and moves to the 5. From what pic and common sense tell me is that it should move it from 7 to 6. I need to figure out how to pull the shaft out and turn it or something. Does anyone have a pic of the waste gate lever hooked to the acuator arm that would help. I guess i can take a picture to show you guys if i have to. My clutch pedal doesn't have that break point where it goes easy like normal. I just push it down and it feels light. I can't get it to go into gear while running. I don't know if my clutch cable is stretched or what. I tried adjusting the nut on the firewall but it doesn't help any.
rednec_d
VIP
VIP

Postby BCDieselD50 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:03 pm

ill try and get ya a pic of the wastegate, sorry i thhought yours was a 83, im thinking your right with the 7 to 6... with your clutch im a little unsure. i didnt realize these trucks had cable not hydro...... cause if it was hydro id say check the master and slave cylinder and bleed the system... ill see if i can get ya the pic tonite..
BCDieselD50

Postby rednec_d » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:20 am

Thanks man mine is a hybrid i went and put my diesel in my first truck since the diesel's body is done and no title. I am using the flywheel and tranny from the 2.6 so i have the cable. This was on the account the diesel tranny had some issues.
rednec_d
VIP
VIP

Postby BCDieselD50 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:48 pm

hybrid eh? you got some pics of your swap? was it on mighty d50? any how i snapped a couple shots of my turbo and acuator, there both out of the truck as i just rebuild the turbo, the red arrow indicates that the acuator rod pushes down and the black arrows show that the wastegate lever is all the way up, also a little off topic heres a pick of the d50 i got for 700 bucks..... the turbo was shot and it needs some body work but its coming along nicely.... a build thread is coming soon :dance:
http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e190/ ... G_0235.jpg
http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e190/ ... G_0237.jpg
BCDieselD50

Next

Return to Turbo and Intake