Turbo questions

Re: Turbo questions

Postby rednec_d » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:33 pm

ok the yellow line represents the acuator rod which moves up and down not back and forth like a pendulum. the red shows what i was told to be the range of the lever. The top red line being the farthest back and the bottom the farthest foreward. was i mislead and then why wont the acuator move the lever like it should?

I'm not the smartest crayon in the fridge, but I have internet.
rednec_d
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 2.3
What year vehicle do you own?: 1984

Postby rednec_d » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:26 pm

is everyone confused and i confused you worse??? I would really like to get this thing out of the shop. I have done nothing since i posted this because this is the hangup.
rednec_d
VIP
VIP

Postby wrngwae » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:11 am

sorry erick im way lost,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but i have an extra waistegate if you need it. maybe your butterfly has been sheered and repaired wrong??????????
!!!!Real Trucks Don't Need Spark Plugs!!!!
or Chinese parts!!!!
764  768 
wrngwae
Super Mod
Super Mod

What year vehicle do you own?: 1987

Postby Spicoli » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:35 am

Erik, gimme a while I gotta a 85 Factory Service Manual that talks about diesels Ill see if I can find a pic for ya :handgestures-thumbup:
--keRby

LethalEthan wrote: I wish I had 10 exhaust pipes, I bet that shit flows like LL Cool J

Ad Inexplorata
Spicoli
VIP
VIP

Postby rednec_d » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:22 pm

even if you know someone who doesn't own one of these trucks or on this site ask please!!!! i have the 84 service manual and they don't go into great detail about the diesel turbo. I just need to know if mine is in the right postition and if not how to move it.
rednec_d
VIP
VIP

Postby DroppedMitsu » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:28 pm

Erik if you take some pics of the turbo as you did but with the wastegate actuator as it would be positioned and then also show both open and closed wastegate arm in the pics and I'm sure one of us will be able to figure it out.
-Josh-
1987 Mighty Max with 4g63 Turbo swap
1989 Macrocab Mighty Max
DroppedMitsu
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 4g63
What year vehicle do you own?: 1987

Postby BCDieselD50 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:38 pm

yeh was on craigs list. the guy was complaining that it lost power and would die out and choke at 2000 rpm it turned out to be the fuel water separator........... i ended up rebuilding the turbo as well as there was a crap load of play in the shaft. finally finashed all the motor and body work and have been driving it for a little over a month :dance: the trucks running great! good mileage, just put a 3.5 inch stack on today and sounds amazing........ the guy i bought it from picked up another for like a grand and is now asking 4900$ for it .. its rusted to shit and seemed to blow a little blue smoke, id stay away from it......

as for the waste gate, id look into maybe findin another? have u run the motor with this one? tried wiring it closed? the motor also has a BOV so i couldent see keeping the waste gate closed doing any harm....alot of cummins guys i talk to keep there wastegate closed and dont have any problems just watch your boost and temps.
-Matt
BCDieselD50

Postby rednec_d » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:55 pm

taking a pick would not help because the acuator tries to push toward the ground. The movement actually pulled my exhaust manifold apart due to two missing nuts, so that is now fixed. It was wired to the fire wall in the farthest back postion and seemed to run ok. Would that be closed?? It ran ok but the clutch slipped so i didn't know how it would effect it. I am trying to get everything fixed like stock because i don't wanna risk this motor and i was hazed alot for any rigged or crude methods on the old site. I am going to check into my clutch issue some more as it still is giving me grief. I just pray i don't have to drop the tranny... :handgestures-thumbdown:
rednec_d
VIP
VIP

Postby rednec_d » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:00 pm

BCDieselD50 wrote:yeh was on craigs list. the guy was complaining that it lost power and would die out and choke at 2000 rpm it turned out to be the fuel water separator........... i ended up rebuilding the turbo as well as there was a crap load of play in the shaft. finally finashed all the motor and body work and have been driving it for a little over a month :dance: the trucks running great! good mileage, just put a 3.5 inch stack on today and sounds amazing........ the guy i bought it from picked up another for like a grand and is now asking 4900$ for it .. its rusted to shit and seemed to blow a little blue smoke, id stay away from it......

as for the waste gate, id look into maybe findin another? have u run the motor with this one? tried wiring it closed? the motor also has a BOV so i couldent see keeping the waste gate closed doing any harm....alot of cummins guys i talk to keep there wastegate closed and dont have any problems just watch your boost and temps.
-Matt

3.5" huh? I am working on a dual 4" miter cut stack setup. I think dual 4" is excessive so i am running 2 1/2 dual inside until the last 1' so i can use the bigger pipe as a megaphone. Also thought about some rain caps inside to keep from blowing soot everywhere. My red diesel still has black spots everywhere and don't even ask about the roof in my car port!! :lol:

they look bigger in person and i may cut them down shorter?? I may leave them too to keep the exhaust from coming inside the cab through the side windows or back window like it did in the red truck.
rednec_d
VIP
VIP

Previous

Return to Turbo and Intake