4d55 teardown

Re: 4d55 teardown

Postby moparducati » Mon May 10, 2010 6:34 pm

Finally! Got the Mighty Max back on the road thanks to Mikewarme’s parts and advice. Thanks Mike!!
Had a heart attack moment though. I got it all put together and ready to start, loosened the injector lines to bleed em out, cranked it till they all had fuel, tightened them, and thought, “hmmm, no oil pressure”. Cranked it for a while longer with the pump disconnected, still no oil pressure. I though, “screw it, it’ll be ok when it starts. Besides, its gotta fill up the new oil filter, the oil cooler, and the rest of the engine so it might take a while”, so I hooked it up, started it, no oil pressure, waited about a minute with it running, no oil pressure! WTF!?

I shut it off, took the oil filter off, bone dry. Now I was crappin myself, I REALLY didn’t want to take this thing back apart. What the hell did I miss?!

I thought maybe its air locking or something, I’ve never messed with an engine with this kind of oil pump. So I disconnected the oil cooler and dumped about a cup of oil in it with a really tiny funnel, cranked it, OIL! Back in business! Put the oil filter back on, disconnected the injector pump, cranked it for a bit. Then started it again. Good pressure! Man! What a relief!! I’ve built several different engines before but I’ve never had that happen before. Drove it 250 miles the next day! Good to have her back!
engineinmax.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
moparducati
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 4d55
What year vehicle do you own?: 1984

Postby wrngwae » Tue May 11, 2010 3:28 am

what kind of intake is that i have never seen one like that mine are all just a 2 bolt tube awith a rubber hose to the turbo??? is that egr or something?? btw congrads,,,,,and drive the hell out of it...kinda spunky for a 4popin diesel huh..
!!!!Real Trucks Don't Need Spark Plugs!!!!
or Chinese parts!!!!
764  768 
wrngwae
Super Mod
Super Mod

Engine Size: 2.3
What year vehicle do you own?: 1987

Postby moparducati » Tue May 11, 2010 4:51 am

wrngwae wrote:what kind of intake is that i have never seen one like that mine are all just a 2 bolt tube awith a rubber hose to the turbo??? is that egr or something??

no idea, my original turbo didn't have a wastegate but the one i got from Mike had one so I needed an intake that would work, to go with it.
moparducati
VIP
VIP

Postby mikewarme » Fri May 14, 2010 6:22 pm

Tye, that looks like a Julio style air hose to me :D . You like my custom EGR block off on the intake elbow? Hey , how does the wastegated turbo feel and sound? I hope you didnt do damage to the bearings. 1 min is a long time without oil. And I hope you primed the turbo before driving it away!
mikewarme

What year vehicle do you own?: 1983

Postby moparducati » Sun May 16, 2010 6:38 pm

Did pour some oil in the turbo. started it up without the exhaust hooked up and it sounded sweet. I might have to go red neck and run a straight pipe. :think: My exhaust is in great shape though so I hate to cut it outa there...

Yeah the air hose sucks, gotta look around for something better. Its got a K&N but that hose connection aint good.
moparducati
VIP
VIP

Postby mikewarme » Sun May 16, 2010 7:08 pm

I could hook u up withthe right hose
mikewarme

What year vehicle do you own?: 1983

Postby moparducati » Mon May 17, 2010 4:18 am

mikewarme wrote:I could hook u up withthe right hose

Trade ya air cond parts? :lol:
moparducati
VIP
VIP

Postby wrngwae » Mon May 17, 2010 12:56 pm

i run a strait pipe on the diesel,,,,,,,,sounds kinda cool.....
!!!!Real Trucks Don't Need Spark Plugs!!!!
or Chinese parts!!!!
764  768 
wrngwae
Super Mod
Super Mod

What year vehicle do you own?: 1987

Previous

Return to Rebuilds