TD04 9B rebuild

TD04 9B rebuild

Postby BCDieselD50 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:54 pm

my trucks an 85 had it for about a month, and the guy who sold it to me said it started losing power and smoking, so i picked it up for 700... long story short its the turbo thats shot, took the turbo off, oil everywhere. fair amount of play in the shaft. so i took the whole thing apart, marked everything out for balancing and ordered a rebuild kit from a dude on ebay. it looks pretty straight forward, just wondering if anyones taken on this before? and if theres any tips or stuff to do before installing and running the turbo? thanks for any info guys.
-Matt
BCDieselD50

Re: TD04 9B rebuild

Postby LethalEthan » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:18 pm

I've rebuilt a t-25 turbo before. Its pretty straightforward. All i can say is make sure the turbo is clocked right before putting it back on.

LethalEthan
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 2.3L

Postby BCDieselD50 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:10 pm

got the kit yesterday and it took me about an hour to throw it all back together...... lot simpler the i had imagined it, just have to get a small crack in the exhust housing brazed and the lil diesel will be blownin coal in notime lol
BCDieselD50

Postby wrngwae » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:15 am

do me a favor and check the endplay after your next oil change. i did the same on my turbo but it got endplay again quick. trust me you dont want to detonate that turbo and ingest all that shrapnel.i sent mine out to a guy from the d50 site he works for forced performance in texas and did a fantastic job not to mention it came back water cooled too. bonus
!!!!Real Trucks Don't Need Spark Plugs!!!!
or Chinese parts!!!!
764  768 
wrngwae
Super Mod
Super Mod

Engine Size: 2.3
What year vehicle do you own?: 1987

Postby BCDieselD50 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:52 pm

turbos installed ! every thing has checked out good... but im getting a bit of hesitation, could this be a lift pump dieing or a cracked fuel line leaking air in to the system ?
BCDieselD50

Postby BCDieselD50 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:42 pm

the hesitation was due to a clogged filter in the fuel water separator..... just did a oil change 2 days ago and no play in the shaft , no oil . ill get some pics up soon on the teardown ect....
BCDieselD50

Postby wrngwae » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:35 am

sounds good, just keep an eye on it for a while. i did even after a professional rebuild just to make sure. i got way too much $$$$$$$$$$$ in that damn thing to turn back now lol. i really dont feel like re doing the head and pistons again!!!!!!!! i think 2 sets of pistons and 2 head swaps is enough for me.
!!!!Real Trucks Don't Need Spark Plugs!!!!
or Chinese parts!!!!
764  768 
wrngwae
Super Mod
Super Mod

Engine Size: 2.3
What year vehicle do you own?: 1987

Return to Rebuilds