Won't start

Re: Won't start

Postby mopartechnician » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:31 am

that is a nice write up thanks that helps a bunch.

Pulling the short block sometime today or this weekend whenever I find time and then will take to the machine shop to see how bad its gonna be and what parts he can find.

One quick question, can they be bored out say .020 or do you just have to sleeve it?
mopartechnician

Engine Size: 2.3
What year vehicle do you own?: 1984

Postby pdub » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:59 pm

mopartechnician wrote:One quick question, can they be bored out say .020 or do you just have to sleeve it?

I don't have personal experience, but they offer the pistons in 0.020 over and 0.040 over, so you are probably safe to 0.04. Hopefully your cylinders are round, and the scoring isn't too deep.

From what I've gathered, scoring happens from the engine overheating, which can mess up a lot of different parts.

you are also supposed to check the head for warpage, but there is a very very small amount you can shave off of the head before the valves will interfere with the pistons.

pdub
pdub

Engine Size: 2.3L
What year vehicle do you own?: 1985

Postby mikewarme » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:55 pm

The oversize pistons are obsolete from Mitsubishi. Good luck finding a set. Your local machine shop can resleeve the block rather cheap. Best option.
mikewarme

What year vehicle do you own?: 1983

Postby camoit » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:30 pm

Did any boby look to see if any smoke was comming out of the exuast when cranking. If so was it white or black or not at all?? White = low compression,, Black = over fueled, no smoke = no fuel. Timing start of injection is normaly 17 deg. btdc. Cracking pressure is around 1300 Psi It might be somthing as simple as a bad lift pump.
Here is my BUILD THREAD.
Live Class 6 off road race truck build. CLICK HERE FOR FEED.

http://www.onsiteconcrete.net
camoit
Admin
Admin

Engine Size: 2.6L
What year vehicle do you own?: 1980

Postby mopartechnician » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:15 pm

oh ya its was puffing white smoke, the head is off and all the liners are scored, still havn't decided what Im gonna do with the pile
mopartechnician

What year vehicle do you own?: 1984

Postby mikewarme » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:40 am

mopartechnician wrote:oh ya its was puffing white smoke, the head is off and all the liners are scored, still havn't decided what Im gonna do with the pile

Real simple. If its a rust bucket get rid of it. If the body is decent and your not a tight wad, than fix it.Restored correctly , these little trucks bring 5-10k. I own 3 of these diesels and I love them. I have a 08 Powerstroke as well and pick to drive the Mitsubishi over it due to fuel economy and small size. Its like an investment. You will get your money back if you do it right. Im telling you though, if youre not willing to go the full route you shouldnt be doing it cause it will bite you in the end. Ive done many of these.
mikewarme

What year vehicle do you own?: 1983

Previous

Return to Glow Plug and Hard Starting.