1985 Diesel Royal Sport

1985 Diesel Royal Sport

Postby Johnny » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:53 am

I need some help on wiring, I need a picture of the starter selonid wiring hook up, Glow plug selonid wiring hook up. I also need a picture or description of the Glow control unit plug in. I need to no which how what color of wires go into the plug in, the colors in the book doesn't match up. I am transfering a 1985 Royal Diesel into a 1987 Ram 50 Gas. Thanks for any help Johnny
Johnny

Engine Size: 2.3
What year vehicle do you own?: 1985

Re: 1985 Diesel Royal Sport

Postby 85TDW50 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:03 am

The Starter Solenoid hooks up exactly the same on the Gas & Diesel D50's. I converted my '84 over to a Diesel with parts from my '85, but kept (some of) the original Gas Wiring Harness and built the rest from scratch. Yes some of the wiring in the repair manuals doesn't match up to the years. I got around that by cross checking the wiring diagrams for all the years the diesel was available to find each wire.

A few things to note/Problems i ran into :

You'll need to install a Relay on the Field Wires to the Alternator, Otherwise the truck will keep running after you shut the key off. Weird i know, but the field wires feed back through to the Start/Run + Wire used for the Fuel Shut Off (former coil +, pre ballast resistor obviously) and once the truck is running, it keeps running.

I would recommend adding a Low PSI Electric Fuel Pump on the frame. near the fuel tank, to assist in pushing fuel up to the Injector Pump, the 4D5x doesn't have a Lift Pump in the normal sense (the Injector Pump is the Lift Pump, but it doesn't do that great of a job) An Elec Pump would make it easier to prime the fuel system and take some stress off the IP at the same time.

I'll dig around and see if i can find some of my notes and scribbled diagrams from when i stuck the diesel in my truck.
84 Dodge Power-Ram 50 Turbo Diesel
92 Dodge Dakota 4x4
76 Dodge Ramcharger
74 Plymouth Duster 340
73 Dodge Dart Sport 340
72 Dodge Demon 340
71 Plymouth Duster 440
70 Plymouth Duster 340
65 Plymouth "Formula S" Cuda 273
85TDW50

Engine Size: 2.3L

Postby Johnny » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:19 pm

Can you tell me how your Glow control unit is hooked up? Mine has One connecter with 2 rows of pins. I am trying to hook this up in with my original wiring but the color codes in the book are different than what is on the Glow plug connector. Can you tell me were each wire goes from the Glow plug Control Unit. Thanks Johnny
Johnny

Postby mikewarme » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:15 am

MaxD50 wrote:
Johnny wrote:Can you tell me how your Glow control unit is hooked up? Mine has One connecter with 2 rows of pins. I am trying to hook this up in with my original wiring but the color codes in the book are different than what is on the Glow plug connector. Can you tell me were each wire goes from the Glow plug Control Unit. Thanks Johnny

mikewarme has a harness for your truck.

Sorry Mike. If you read he is doing a hacked up conversion. Although I support diesels, I don't wish to share my extensive parts to hacked up and rigged trucks. He should have taken his whole harness from the 85. Just do a push button and forget the controller.
mikewarme

What year vehicle do you own?: 1983

Postby Johnny » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:10 pm

Yes I am doing a hack job but I have no choice, part of the wiring harness is missing. I used a 1985 Dodge Ram 50 Sport Diesel and put it in my 1987 dodge ram 50. I would have kept the Sport Diesel together but the body was eat up. If you could help me with the wiring of the glow system I would appreciate it. Thanks for your time, Johnny
Johnny

Postby 85TDW50 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:52 am

mikewarme wrote:
MaxD50 wrote:
Johnny wrote:Can you tell me how your Glow control unit is hooked up? Mine has One connecter with 2 rows of pins. I am trying to hook this up in with my original wiring but the color codes in the book are different than what is on the Glow plug connector. Can you tell me were each wire goes from the Glow plug Control Unit. Thanks Johnny

mikewarme has a harness for your truck.

Sorry Mike. If you read he is doing a hacked up conversion. Although I support diesels, I don't wish to share my extensive parts to hacked up and rigged trucks. He should have taken his whole harness from the 85. Just do a push button and forget the controller.

Crap i had a whole reply typed up and my wifi connection crapped out when i hit submit :cry:

The Push Button / Momentary On setup is simplicity at it's best (it's what i'm running in my '84) and can be added in a few hours time, with parts that are readily available over the counter at any parts store. The only part that may have to be ordered (And i recommend them) is a set of 12 Volt Glow Plugs to replace the stock 6 Volt Glow Plugs. NGK Part Number : 7880 Y-710J They match the dimensions of the stock 6V Plugs used in the 4D55. For the extra level of "fancy" a cheap Indicator Light from Radioshack can be added to tell you when the glow plugs are being powered (i recommend this too)

I kinda agree with you Mike, in my case i didn't have a diesel harness and Mightyd50 was gone, and Mightyram50 hadn't popped up yet when i started on the wiring in my truck. In a way i'm glad i didn't use a Diesel Harness, since i added/modified alot of stuff on my truck (Dual Electric Fans, added relays to run most of the truck, power windows, power locks, power seats, ect) I would have felt really bad cutting apart a rare diesel harness to use in my truck.
92 Dodge Dakota 4x4
76 Dodge Ramcharger
74 Plymouth Duster 340
73 Dodge Dart Sport 340
72 Dodge Demon 340
71 Plymouth Duster 440
70 Plymouth Duster 340
85TDW50

Postby Johnny » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:06 am

I believe my systm is a 12 volt system, or you saying I have 6 volt Glow plugs If I do the change you are talking about, what do I do for a heater for the glow controls. You are saying that you put a seperate Glow plug system that does works on a indendent system of its own. Can you sennd me a diaghram of what you have done? Thanks Johnny
Johnny

Postby 85TDW50 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:41 am

The 4D55 Diesels use 6V Glow Plugs, the factory Glow Plug Controller steps it down from 12V. I learned that the hard way when my diesel burned out a set of new 6V plugs real quick with the Manual Control (full 12V). Took me a long time and alot of searching to find a set of 12V Plugs to fit it, i went to every parts store i could find and compared plugs side by side. Even read online for ages, but couldn't find anything.

In the end i found the answer on a Chevy Forum (of all places, lol) wrote down a bunch of the part numbers and ordered a set of the NGKs on Rockauto, but they're also available at Napa and other parts stores too. I also wrote the part number for the NGKs in the Owners Manual for my '84 (lol) that way the numbers will always stay in my truck.

Crappy MS Paint Diagram ahead :

The only change i made that's different from the diagram, was i moved the + wire for the Indicator from the Post on the Ford Starter Solenoid, to the Buss Bar for the Glow Plugs, that way i know if i'm getting power to the plugs themselves (instead of power from the solenoid)
92 Dodge Dakota 4x4
76 Dodge Ramcharger
74 Plymouth Duster 340
73 Dodge Dart Sport 340
72 Dodge Demon 340
71 Plymouth Duster 440
70 Plymouth Duster 340
85TDW50

Postby wrngwae » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:48 am

you have a 12 volt system unless its from an 83 those were 6 volt. and i have been running a "push button" system for,,,,,,,wow over 2yrs now huh.....i was told it would only last a few months,,,,,i forgot who said that. "cough cough" spencer.....
!!!!Real Trucks Don't Need Spark Plugs!!!!
or Chinese parts!!!!
764  768 
wrngwae
Super Mod
Super Mod

What year vehicle do you own?: 1987

Postby Johnny » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:15 am

What you are saying is that you put in a Glow Plug System, did this do away with the heater control and the Glow control unit that was already on the truck? Johnny
Johnny

Next

Return to Glow Plug and Hard Starting.