Testing glow plugs

Testing glow plugs

Postby T-Bone » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:34 am

Hello

I have an 84 TD and am wondering how to to test the glow plugs, and what would be a good brand to buy? I have a 6.9l diesel ford and to test those glow plugs I can just run a wire from the battery to the top of the plug while they are still in the head. If it sparks then they are good. Does this test method work for the Mitsu? Thanks for any info.
T-Bone

Engine Size: 2.3l
What year vehicle do you own?: 1984

Re: Testing glow plugs

Postby moparducati » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:31 pm

There might be better informed folks here but, here's how I check em. Set your multimeter to ohms, and check for continuity from the top threaded stud (where they get power), to the block or where they screw into the block. continuity=good, open=bad.
moparducati
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 4d55
What year vehicle do you own?: 1984

Postby pennyman1 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:18 pm

Don't use the 12 volt to the glow plug test on these - they are 6 volt and will fry at 12 volts in a short time
Pennyman1
Living the D-50 life since 1980
The best Dodge that Dodge never made
pennyman1
VIP
VIP

Postby sassafrass » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:53 am

one of mine failed, but still had continuity, but then you will be blowing fuses or melting wiring if the fuse has been bypassed... good luck trying to check them with an ohm meter. .23 ohms is not very much. mine read 0.0, but still work. you can check them to see if they glow, but only for a few seconds (like two) on a 12v battery. a 6v would be safer if you have one around.

as far as i could find NKG is the only available support. a little over $20 each. best to replace them as a set. YMMV.

13 ftlbs is the torque. not very tight.

tom
sassafrass

Engine Size: 2.3
What year vehicle do you own?: 1983

Return to Glow Plug and Hard Starting.