glow plug replacement help

glow plug replacement help

Postby sljsmc » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:00 pm

Ok, here's my problem. I have a 1984 d50 with the diesel engine and I went to replace one of the glowplugs and when I unscrewed it I got the outer shell out is all. The bottom of the glow plug is still in the head. There is a piece down the hole that I can just barely get a hold of with a pair of needle nose pliers. I can't get enough of a grip on it to pull it(assuming carbon on inside). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I really didn't want to have to pull the head but that may have to happen. Thanks Steven
sljsmc

Engine Size: 2.3l
What year vehicle do you own?: 1984

Re: glow plug replacement help

Postby sassafrass » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:24 pm

what likely happened is your glow plugs were overheated. when this happens the end swells up and can even crack off. are you on manual glow control? if so, you will know the cause of the overheating. if you are on computer control you will need to trouble shoot that.

however, don't turn over your engine in its current condition. you will need to pull the head to solve the issue. if you have a fiber optic view screen/camera/video you may be able to see what is going on down there without pulling the head.

overheating these glow plugs must be guarded against for this reason.

tom
sassafrass

Engine Size: 2.3
What year vehicle do you own?: 1983

Postby sljsmc » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:49 pm

Would the tip be magnetic by chance? if so could I push it into the clyinder and pull the injector and use a magnet to bring it out through the injector hole? If not magnetic maybe one of those little claws. Just a thought. I am using a manual push button for the glow plugs right now. I just got a manual to help me through trouble shooting the original setup to see what is wrong with it. I would like to get the original setup fixed. Thanks for the info. Steven
sljsmc

Postby T-Bone » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:33 am

Just out of curiosity what type of glow plug was it? I know autolites have a very good reputation for doing that. I have the NGK's and they are $20 a piece but are basically OEM I think.
T-Bone

Postby sljsmc » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:32 pm

I have the ngk glow plugs. From my local Napa cost $23. Steven
sljsmc

Postby wrngwae » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:04 pm

you could always pressurized the intake side with air and turn the crank by hand till that cyl is pressurized and blows it out.
!!!!Real Trucks Don't Need Spark Plugs!!!!
or Chinese parts!!!!
764  768 
wrngwae
Super Mod
Super Mod

What year vehicle do you own?: 1987

Postby sassafrass » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:50 am

with manual switches it is easy to have this problem...and it can be dangerous for your engine. 6v glow plugs when triggered more than 4-5 sec or so on 10 or 12v will get larger than the hole they went in. also the tips can fall off. this is an interference engine. think about it.

i guess i would turn the engine over carefully by hand to see if it binds...maybe jack up the passenger side so as to have gravity help with inspection down the holes. maybe a magnet??? i would not really have peace of mind until i took the head off, or some other way to see inside the head.

i have all the troubleshooting logic tree from the factory manual if you need.

best,
sassafrass

Postby mikewarme » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:21 pm

NGK's are the OEMS. Did the whole threaded portion come out? If so your gonna end up pulling the head. You won't get it out through the injector ports. You run the risk of ruining engine. Head is easy. ASK Tye. Only expense is the gaskets. If you are glowing more than 5 seconds thats way too much. If it doesn't start with 3 - 5 seconds of glow , you've got other issues. I don't bother helping people troubleshoot glow controller problems anymore because nobody follows my directions or advice. And guess what?? They call back later after having fucked it up worse!
mikewarme

Postby wrngwae » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:11 am

yea, mike used to be impressed with my 1hr head gasket swap. after about a dozen times you know what tools to get out ahead of time lol.
!!!!Real Trucks Don't Need Spark Plugs!!!!
or Chinese parts!!!!
764  768 
wrngwae
Super Mod
Super Mod

What year vehicle do you own?: 1987

Return to Glow Plug and Hard Starting.