Turbo questions

Turbo questions

Postby shield88mm » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:38 pm

shield88mm

Engine Size: 2.0
What year vehicle do you own?: 1988

Re: Turbo questions

Postby netstat » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:15 pm

do not ever in your life buy an ebay turbo kit ... i didn't even click the link, but it is garbage ... that is unless you actually like the idea of your intake eating a broken chunk of impeller blade, or sh!tty bearing setups and bad seals eating up all of your oil and destroying any O2 sensors or catalytic converters in its path ... bad idea. a turbo is never where you want to cheap out on your build, there is simply may to much risk of cheap chinese parts failing and causing shit tons of damage.

and just in case the link was pointing to one of those "electric turbos" (gotta assume, it is egay after all) then the simple answer would be that hair dryers are not for boosing.
netstat
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 2.4L
What year vehicle do you own?: 1991

Postby netstat » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:18 pm

I clicked... and it lived up to my craptastical expectations... nothing more than a $400 headache ...
netstat
VIP
VIP

Postby LethalEthan » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:33 pm

what he said^ Turbo's are not something you want to cheap out on. I've even seen some ebay turbo's held together with glue like this one!

ask grimace on here how long his ebay turbo lasted and what he thinks of them :lol:

LethalEthan
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 2.3L

Postby shield88mm » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:46 am

OK, well thanks for the warning. I'll definitely avoid that.

Now, what is the least costly way to go with reasonable quality? (I mean I'm not looking for a drag truck but just want more power on the street. There has to be someone out there who makes a manifold and turbo setup for the mighty max, or maybe under a different model that will bolt on. I posted some turbo questions in another post and they told me to look for a starion?? I have never heard of this car, and when I did research I have never seen one either. The wiki page says they were made in the US but I just don't know.
shield88mm

Engine Size: 2.0
What year vehicle do you own?: 1988

Postby netstat » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:04 am

shield88mm wrote:OK, well thanks for the warning. I'll definitely avoid that.

Now, what is the least costly way to go with reasonable quality? (I mean I'm not looking for a drag truck but just want more power on the street. There has to be someone out there who makes a manifold and turbo setup for the mighty max, or maybe under a different model that will bolt on. I posted some turbo questions in another post and they told me to look for a starion?? I have never heard of this car, and when I did research I have never seen one either. The wiki page says they were made in the US but I just don't know.

I'm sorry man, but if you couldn't find a Starion you have not done your research ... they are not the most common car out there, but its not like trying to find a Gallardo in your local scrap yard.

As far as least costly ... no matter what, its ognna be costly to do right. Its one of those projects that requires a good amount of supporting modifications so you dont grenade your motor. Boosting an engine that was designed to be naturally aspirated is not for the faint of heart.... Trust me, I am turboing my 2007 Tiburon and I thought I could do it cheap... I learned the hard way.

So far here is my parts list for that project:
Donor motor for build
New pistons/rods/rings to lower compression ratio
Greddy Profec B Spec II electronic boost controller
Greddy Full auto turbo timer
Greddy oil catch can
Kspec t25/t28 turbo manifold
CX Racing (still a suck brand) T03/T04 turbo (being removed from my build for reasons cited in this thread)
System Upgrade (decent Korean brand) Front mount intercooler
T25/T28 to T4 manifold flange adapter
Apex'i Neo Air/Fuel piggyback computer

I still need:
Wide band A/F
charge piping
Tial 38mm wastegate
Greddy Type RS BOV

There are a few things I am forgetting from both lists... but as you can see, its no easy task to do properly. I'm not saying that it is not possible to do otherwise, but if you insist on cheaping out, just do yourself a favor and don't go further than you have money to be towed back.
netstat
VIP
VIP

Postby netstat » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:41 am

here's some good reading for you, not all about turbo'ing, but some good places to start looking for parts from your engine's cousins ... manifold showed in one of the pics actually looks like it might fit a 8V 4G64...

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/forum/v ... 9223621dfa
netstat
VIP
VIP

Postby netstat » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:00 am

doing a little more research for you here ... the Mitsu Astron (4G5*) seem really weak ... even one of the larger displacement ones from that series that came already turbo'd was rated at barely over 100 hp. Maybe a complete engine swap is more what you need to be looking into.
netstat
VIP
VIP

Postby pennyman1 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:37 pm

Not sure where your getting your info, but the 2.6 turbos in 83 were 140 hp. The 89 TSI's were 188 hp and were intercooled. In a 2500lb truck, that makes for a great weight to hp ratio.
Pennyman1
Living the D-50 life since 1980
The best Dodge that Dodge never made
pennyman1
VIP
VIP

Postby netstat » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:50 pm

pennyman1 wrote:Not sure where your getting your info, but the 2.6 turbos in 83 were 140 hp. The 89 TSI's were 188 hp and were intercooled. In a 2500lb truck, that makes for a great weight to hp ratio.

I didn't notice those #s when I looked it up ... But still that's not really good for that displacement with a turbo. And please tell me how to put my truck on that much of a diet to weigh 2500 lbs. Mine weighs in at 4200
netstat
VIP
VIP

Next

Return to Intake, Exhaust & Turbo.