Electronic ignition

Electronic ignition

Postby paullen » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:18 am

Has anyone fitted a pertronix ignitor or similar to their 2.0?

I've ordered up a MSD blaster coil and 6al-2, I just need a decent set of leads and an electronic ignition so I can ditch the points.

What leads do you guys run? Also does anyone know what distributor the 2.0's run, my supplier can get me a kit which fits the mitsubishi T3T dizzy.

I've already fitted a weber 38/38 (which hesitates then you put your foot down at low revs), custom exhaust, electric fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator. I'll get a load of pics up when its all done :mrgreen:
paullen
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 2000
What year vehicle do you own?: 1987

Re: Electronic ignition

Postby pennyman1 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:02 pm

I don't know where that dist. came from - all d50s came with electronic ignition. If the pertronics fits, use it. Or you could go to a crank triggered ignition for the best setup you can get.
Pennyman1
Living the D-50 life since 1980
The best Dodge that Dodge never made
pennyman1
VIP
VIP

Postby 77amc » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:48 pm

I'm having issues with my 32/36 and am learning more and more..
The 38 is a NON-progressive carb, (meaning that the throttle plates open at the same time) and there isn't enough fuel squirting into the bores.. You need a bigger squirter. Maybe a 50cc one.

Another thing would be to utilize a larger idle jet. I'm thinking of doing that since all the jets and such are what they would normally sell in the kit..
I get a backfire at about 1/3rd to 1/2 but at least I got it to start and idle better..

E
77amc
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 2.6
What year vehicle do you own?: 1989

Postby paullen » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:12 pm

I should know in the next couple of days if my hesitation is due to a lean or rich mix. If its lean then I think you're right and I need a bigger accelerator pump jet.
paullen
VIP
VIP

Postby 77amc » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:38 pm

Just hold the choke open, and manually give it a shot.. Well, actually a quick stab at the linkage. It should squirt down the primary side.
I don't feel like mine is shootin enough. Maybe the diaphram for the pump is leaking??

Another thing is to see how much fuel pumps out just turning over. Or my case, with the key on.

Come to think of it.. There is a little screw for the secondary linkage that (if there is enough sticking up) can be accessed from the top. Use a needle nose pliers. (it's attached to the carb base where the secondary linkage 'arm' hits.. You'll see it. Just slowly move it to a full swing) If you don't get a full swing. the plates aren't fully opening causing a loss in performance.

Errol
77amc
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 2.6
What year vehicle do you own?: 1989

Postby paullen » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:27 am

Well the MSD fixed the problem 100%, so it must have been running rich. Its much nicer to drive now.
paullen
VIP
VIP

Return to Ignition Upgrades.