2.4 trans>>2.6 engine??

Transmission Rebuilds or problems? Ask it here.

2.4 trans>>2.6 engine??

Postby 77amc » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:15 am

Good morning guys n gals..
A while ago I had found a 81K mi 2.4 at a yard, purchased the trans also (just because my 2.6's one had 225K) and mated it to my 'built' 2.6 with a quest flywheel/clutch assy since it looked very nice (just a little dust, not wear)

Now that I've finally got it moving under it's own power, I can just barely get it in 1st and WILL NOT go in REV...??
It's been over a year since I put it all together and in, so I can't remember which T/O bearing I used.
I've cranked on the 'adjusting star' on the clutch cable to no avail.
But one would make the cable "LONGER" to get more movement from the same peddle travel right??
OR should I be making it shorter?

SO, am I missing anything obvious to you Mitsu/Dodge guys? I just had the driveshaft finished and installed for the Yota rear and don't feel like pulling the trans again, but will if I have to.. Or just put the original one back in.

Is there a difference between the 2.6 and 2.4 trans that could make this happen..?
Are the T/O bearings different enough to not give the correct engagement?

I've looked into my D-50 fact manual and it does look like the internals are different but the geometry for actuating the clutch should be the same.

Thoughts? Errol
77amc
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 2.6
What year vehicle do you own?: 1989

Re: 2.4 trans>>2.6 engine??

Postby raidinator » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:54 am

nothing comes to mind, in my dealings with these trannys i haven't seen anything like that. my gut tells me that something is seized in that trans. did you know why that donnor truck was in the junk yard in the first place. A fried trans would be the kind of thing that would land a truck with only 80k in the junk yard

Good Luck,
Greg Buscher
Continuing the endless quest to build my 2.6 liter adventure machine
raidinator

Postby pennyman1 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:07 pm

There is an adjustment on the clutch pedal itself for upper limit stop. It should have 1/4 inch of pedal movement down before the cable moves. Your cable could be streached, causing the t/o bearing to not fully disengage the clutch. Also switch to a synthetic gear lube, my 80 was tough like that when cold but with the synthetic I have to be careful not to downshift into 1st from 4th; not a fun thing to do, pain involved.
Pennyman1
Living the D-50 life since 1980
The best Dodge that Dodge never made
pennyman1
VIP
VIP

Postby 77amc » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:11 am

Here it is..
Thank you sir.
Got the AMSOIL 75/90 in it already.

It looks like the trans might be coming out.

just have tooo much going on today.

E
77amc
VIP
VIP

Return to Transmission.