3.0 tranny and transfer case

Transmission Rebuilds or problems? Ask it here.

3.0 tranny and transfer case

Postby 92slammedmitsu » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:10 pm

ok fella im new to the 3.0 motors ive always worked on the 2.4's so i have a few questions. I may be buying a 4wd MM with the 3.0 but the transfer case is supposed to be trashed and making all kinda noise ,,,so can i just pull the transfer case off and still run the truck like a 2wd or is that not an option?

Ok another question is if it turns out to be the tranny and i can not find another or get it rebuild with in my budget is it possible to mated another model tranny (chevy,ford,ect) with an adapter of some sort?
92slammedmitsu

Engine Size: 2.4
What year vehicle do you own?: 1991

Re: 3.0 tranny and transfer case

Postby TotallyBalistic » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:16 am

when you pull the transfer case off your not able to run the truck. you would have to have a piece machined for a cone and even then the tailshaft would probably still be to short. you may be able to pull the trans and take it to a machine shop and then another trans of your choice so they would have both patterns for the bell housing and just have your own adapter made. stop by the local parts store and find a clutch disk thats the same diameter and thickness as your 3.0 that will go on the input shaft of your transmission. youll also need to make sure the end of the input shaft will fit in the same pilot bearing in the end of the crank shaft...you want a snug fit there or youll get nasty vibrations that will probably trash your transmission
Chuck Norris doesnt read books, he stares them down until he gets the information he wants.
TotallyBalistic
Good Times
Good Times

Engine Size: 2.0
What year vehicle do you own?: 1988

Postby 92slammedmitsu » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:39 am

i appreciate the information bro , i will be making the adapter my self if i choose to go that route so that wont be a problem there.
but as far as a tranny that is a direct bolt interchange i would think a montero or raider would work as long as its a 3.0 right?
could anyone tell be what to look for to find the correct tranny that i might be able to get the transfer case and all?

thanks
camoit
92slammedmitsu

Postby Spicoli » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:57 pm

Mitsus motor codes make interchanging motors/trannys really easy.

All 4g6X motors can trade pretty much everything

All 6g7X motors can trade pretty much anything trannys included

Certain 3rd gen monteros runa 6g75 with a 5spd automatic behind it, get one of them and put behind your 6g72 and youd be king shit!!!!
--keRby

LethalEthan wrote: I wish I had 10 exhaust pipes, I bet that shit flows like LL Cool J

Ad Inexplorata
Spicoli
VIP
VIP

Postby elijah » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:53 pm

TotallyBalistic wrote:when you pull the transfer case off your not able to run the truck. you would have to have a piece machined for a cone and even then the tailshaft would probably still be to short. you may be able to pull the trans and take it to a machine shop and then another trans of your choice so they would have both patterns for the bell housing and just have your own adapter made. stop by the local parts store and find a clutch disk thats the same diameter and thickness as your 3.0 that will go on the input shaft of your transmission. youll also need to make sure the end of the input shaft will fit in the same pilot bearing in the end of the crank shaft...you want a snug fit there or youll get nasty vibrations that will probably trash your transmission

This is quite a helpful post. My uncle just recently bough a 3.0 MM. He noticed there's a noise coming from the transfer case and my uncle wonder if it is okay to remove it, would the truck still run. Lucky, we check out the forum and found your post before removing it or the truck would have not run. My uncle is still thinking whether to remove it or not but he would still be bringing the truck to a workshop to also check on the transfer case electrical switch if it still working properly. Anyway, thanks for sharing the info.
elijah

Engine Size: 2.6
What year vehicle do you own?: 1988

Postby capev86 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:53 pm

get a V5M31 out of a late model montero if you want a rugged 5spd manual that fits the v6. it will take the power of a 3.5 dohc and a 3.8 so the 3.0 will not hurt it.

now for me, i want the R5M31 rwd variant that was never available stateside so i can put a late model 3.8 in my 87 ram 50 and keep it 2wd/5spd while gaining turbo power without the extra maintenance or need for premium gas.
capev86

What year vehicle do you own?: 1987

Postby 92slammedmitsu » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:17 pm

can someone post a list of some sort of vehicles that have trannys that bolt up to the 3.0 motor so i can go junkyard hunting cause I really want this truck but any afraid that I wont be able to get a transfer case for it...thanks

camoit
92slammedmitsu

Postby capev86 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:42 pm

mid 90's and up Monteros with a 5spd will all be 4x4 and have the transfer case. Just find a V6 model with 5psd and it will be V5M31 unless you are among the lucky few and stumble across the super rare rwd R5M31 in some foreign junkyard. everything else that had a 3.0, 3.5, 3.8 will be a front wheel drive variant and the transmission will not be useful to you, not even the 3000gt awd as it is also a transverse setup.
capev86

What year vehicle do you own?: 1987

Postby 92slammedmitsu » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:17 pm

capev86 wrote:mid 90's and up Monteros with a 5spd will all be 4x4 and have the transfer case. Just find a V6 model with 5psd and it will be V5M31 unless you are among the lucky few and stumble across the super rare rwd R5M31 in some foreign junkyard. everything else that had a 3.0, 3.5, 3.8 will be a front wheel drive variant and the transmission will not be useful to you, not even the 3000gt awd as it is also a transverse setup.

thanks this is good information!!
92slammedmitsu

Return to Transmission.