Throw out bearings..?

Transmission Rebuilds or problems? Ask it here.

Throw out bearings..?

Postby 77amc » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:28 am

Good morning. I'm still having issues with trying this 91 2.4 trans in my 88 max with a 2.6.
It would shift but not go into reverse, and for 1st I'd have to go to second then first. Checked the cable, and it was already too tight..? (no freeplay)
Finally got around to pulling the trans and taking a look. As I was under there, I noticed that the little bracket that holds the cable to the bellhousing wasn't exactly tight. FIXED.. Still no R..? OK pulled the cable to check that. FINE.. (dang, gotta pull it..)
Dropped it and looked to see if there was SOMETHING that I may have forgot. Throwout moved fine and to the end of the collar.. HHMmm. Now when I pulled the original 2.6 trans, I had stripped two quests and was building a stock pile of parts for a 4g swap. SO, there was/is parts scattered about and couldn't remember which parts I actually used when I put it in..
got another disc (for a 2.6 max) IT didn't look like the quest disc since it only had 4 springs and the quest one had 6..?

Taking a closer look, I see a double spring setup on the 'new' one (I guess that 8 is better than 6 eh)
Back to the throw out bearing.. HOW MANY DID THEY OFFER for the max's? At the parts store, They had 3 different #'s From the pics that they had, I already had the quest's one. Bought the two others to cover myself.. Get home to compare and the other "NON turbo" one looked the same as the quests' but the one shown for 'my' max wasn't as short BUT didn't come with the return spring..(?) (of course I don't know where the "old one" went. It's been almost 2yrs..)
ANYONE have that goofy little spring?

OH, There's more..!! I thought that I was gonna be something special by using a quest shifter.. (still don't know why they use a 5lb shifter..?) Started looking at/through my "pile" and the male end that goes into the trans shifter arm under the cover looks to be different than the max.. FOUND the orig max one to find that the little plastic part is a cylinder rather than the quests' round ball. (bigger so that I don't think that there would be room for a plastic sleeve) MAYBE that's why it wasn't shifting right.? (the 'dog-leg' wasn't rotating enough to get to the last finger 'slot' to let the R one move foreward..?)
Put the max one back in and am now trying to figure out where in the world that I put that retaining spring :pray:

If any of you parts junkies know which is the right one, let me know and maybe pics too..!

I"ll try and take some pics also.

Errol
77amc
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 2.6
What year vehicle do you own?: 1989

Re: Throw out bearings..?

Postby 77amc » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:31 am

hey man, post in the right section..

Jeeesh!

:oops: Errol
77amc
VIP
VIP

Postby camoit » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:47 pm

Well since this IS the Engine & Transmission section we can help. When trying to go into rev. does it just grind??? Kind of like the clutch is not disengaging?
You shuld keep in mind that there are three parts to the clutch. If the pressure plate is disengaging far enough then it only leaves two things. The pilot shaft berring or the disk hub it self. If the pilot berring is bad or miss alined it will make the input shaft spin. As for the disk. If the hub and splines are to tight, or gummed up with old grese, dirt and dust. Then the disk won't move away from the flywheel, and the imput shaft will continue to spin. If the shaft spins then you can't get it in gear.

In your post you talk about about double springs. Do you mean coaxial? This is a spring inside of a spring. The springs are between the disk and the hub. They absorbed the shock of the cylinders firing. Better known as dynamic loading. With out them you wipe out clutch hubs and input shafts faster. The less springs and more aggressive the clutch, the more vibration is transferred to the drive train.
When it comes to clutch disks you can order them in just about any configuration. All you need is some basic information. Shaft size, spline count, disc size, type of material you want to use. Organic or ceramic.
Here is my BUILD THREAD.
Live Class 6 off road race truck build. CLICK HERE FOR FEED.

http://www.onsiteconcrete.net
camoit
Admin
Admin

Engine Size: 2.6L
What year vehicle do you own?: 1980

Postby 77amc » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:04 am

Got it all back together and in.. Shifts fine now..? I added soo many variables that I didn't have the time to track down each and every one.
There wasn't any grinding at all. It was just blocked from going into R. It felt like it got to the gate but wouldn't go the full movement in place.
I had tightened the cable up so much that there was NO movement of the 'arm' to the bellhousing. (on the outside)
I still think that it was the quest shifter for some reason.
At the parts store, there seemed to be 3-different throw out bearings.. Two had the retaining springs attached and one didn't.
I took the one that didn't (because it looked different than the two that I had) Now just 'eyeballing' it, it looked like the one I chose was slightly taller.
SO in it went and finally got it (the original 2.6 trans) bolted back together and goes thru all the gears without depressing the clutch :pray: :clap: :dance: .. BUT, I'm working alone and can't get under there and press it down at the same time..
Having the front jacked up/tires off, I wanted to pull the shocks to measure them for some dropped ones.
Well they're stripped IN!! How the heck that happened is beyond me, and for another thread. Time to get out there and start drilling the bolts out.

More to come..

Errol
77amc
VIP
VIP

Return to Transmission.