hydraulic clutch conversion

Transmission Rebuilds or problems? Ask it here.

hydraulic clutch conversion

Postby TurboMax » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:55 am

Who's done a hydraulic clutch conversion?
TurboMax

Engine Size: 2.6T

Re: hydraulic clutch conversion

Postby 4g63mightymax » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:35 pm

I have all the parts to do it, but haven't done it yet. I have a clutch pedal from a diesel and I would LOVE to see what one from a v6 looks like for comparison purposes.

On the transmission, I will be cutting part of the bellhousing out and welding in an area from one with a hydraulic clutch. So it will be a frankenstein of a transmission when I'm done. 2.0L 5 speed, starion tail, converted to hydraulic. Saaaweet!

Now who's soul do I have to sell for those clutch pedal pics? :)

-Jeremy
4g63mightymax

Postby LethalEthan » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:40 pm

you could always go hydraulic with a hydraulic release bearing, youd have to drill two holes in the bellhousing for the lines and then just make some mounts for the bearing. I was thinking of going this route later on but im not to sure yet.

LethalEthan
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 2.3L

Postby 4g63mightymax » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:17 pm

Turbomax -> Whats the status on this? Got pics yet?

-Jeremy
4g63mightymax

Postby TurboMax » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:09 pm

4g63mightymax wrote:Turbomax -> Whats the status on this? Got pics yet?

-Jeremy

Here's pics of the pedal.

Mounting the pedal shouldn't be that bad. Just need to drill 3 holes in the firewall in the pocket next to the brake booster where the clutch master cylinder should go. Then a bracket will need to be made to mount underneath the dash. The stock mounting bracket isn't present on my truck due to the cable clutch. Next time I'm at the yard, I'll bring my cordless drill and hopefully get the bracket by drilling out the spot welds.

It will probably be awhile before I do the conversion, since my clutch cable setup has been working fine. I just got lucky and found the hydraulic clutch pedal setup, so I grabbed it. This is the first one I've seen in the 3 years owning my truck.

I'm just trying to find some more info for now. I plan on using my spare starquest 5-speed I have. The biggest issue I see for me is if the stock truck drive shaft will fit the starquest trans and if its the correct length.
TurboMax

Postby MightyG54BTMax » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:25 pm

By quick glance, the splined ends look the same. I know the diff side is. Should be able to use your tail shaft to keep the drive shaft the same length. Don't quote me on that though.
MightyG54BTMax
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 2.6
What year vehicle do you own?: 1988

Postby 4g63mightymax » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:35 pm

Here is a picture of my pedal which is from a 1st Gen Diesel. (The one on the right) On the left is a cable clutch pedal setup for reference. Mine looks really similar to yours, I wonder if they are actually the same?

-Jeremy
Last edited by 4g63mightymax on Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4g63mightymax

Postby 4g63mightymax » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:45 pm

MaxD50 wrote:They are identical

Well, I guess that answers that. Now I need to know what that bracket looks like so I can make my own. Maybe I will get lucky and somebody will post up or email me a picture :)

-Jeremy
4g63mightymax

Postby TurboMax » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:31 pm

MightyG54BTMax wrote:By quick glance, the splined ends look the same. I know the diff side is. Should be able to use your tail shaft to keep the drive shaft the same length. Don't quote me on that though.

I'll have to measure the transmissions one of these days.
TurboMax

Postby TurboMax » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:39 pm

4g63mightymax wrote:
MaxD50 wrote:They are identical

Well, I guess that answers that. Now I need to know what that bracket looks like so I can make my own. Maybe I will get lucky and somebody will post up or email me a picture :)

-Jeremy

The pedals look the same and use the same clutch master cylinder.

copying the bracket should be easy. Here's how its mounted.

I did an auto to manual swap on a starquest several years ago and the mounting setup was similar. Flat bar with a few bends should do it. The hardest part is welding the bracket with all the crap still under the dash.
TurboMax

Next

Return to Transmission.