transmission leak and some smoke

Transmission Rebuilds or problems? Ask it here.

transmission leak and some smoke

Postby DJ 4x4 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:13 pm

Alright I am home for about a month for x-mas and wanted to get my dodge running good with my spare time. The truck is a 1991 dodge power ram 50 4x4 with the 3.0L V6.

My first problem would have to be the smoke. It has been sitting for about a year and i fired it up today to get it running and to put some fresh gas in it. When fired up it smoked pretty bad out the exhaust pipe this was a problem before it had set though. Its a whitesh smoke id say possibly a little blue tint (oil burning possibly) ill have to try and figure out if its just antifreeze or if its oil didnt really try and smell it at the time. Any ideas on what to tackle first for this problem? it doesnt overheat at all which doesnt make me think its a head gasket problem. I think its a valve stem seal the truck tends to smoke at idel but not when on the gas. If it was valve stem seals how hard would that be to change? would i have to do some timeing for the valves if i was to replace the stem seals?

Next Problem is smoke under the hood. It likes to burn something off on the engine its right on the exhaust manifold it was worse when i just fired it up i assume something oil or antifreeze accumualted on the exhaust manifold while sitting is why it smoked so mush at this time. But this was also a problem before it had been sitting. I wanna say the first issue and this one are related but im not to sure which would make me think the head gasket was leaking.

Last problem would be the transmission fluid. It goes through transmission fluid very fast. It does leak transmission fluid but it seems like theres more missing then whats in my driveway (have to keep a quart with me at all times). I know that some ppl say that the reason for smoke coming out the exhaust pipe can be from burning tranny fluid. Not sure how to diagnose this or even how it would get in my piston chambers.

Any suggestions on what these problems could be or better ways to diagnose my problem to help narrow it down. It was my first vehicle and my mothers wanting to sell it but i cant bring myself to doing it. When i first started it up my mother came outside and and the smoke was blowing right towards the house and shes just like and you want to keep that pos. It was funny. Any help is appreciated.
DJ 4x4

Re: transmission leak and some smoke

Postby pennyman1 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:19 pm

First issues- smoke- sounds like the external smoke is from leaking valve cover gaskets. Don't bother tightening them down, just replace them. The smoke from the tailpipe sounds like maybe water from a head gasket- do a compression check on all cylinders and mark them down. all should be over 100 lbs to be good. The missing tranny fluid could be a leak or a pressurized loss like from the cooling lines to the radiator. Look for wet lines from the tranny to the rad and check to see if there is tranny fluid in the rad. Also check the oil for antifreeze and/ or tranny fluid- this could be a major mess or a simple fix- look for the clues and decide.
Pennyman1
Living the D-50 life since 1980
The best Dodge that Dodge never made
pennyman1
VIP
VIP

Postby Spicoli » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:53 pm

They all get old and need valve stem seals.

3.0 are notorious for leaking valve covers.
--keRby

LethalEthan wrote: I wish I had 10 exhaust pipes, I bet that shit flows like LL Cool J

Ad Inexplorata
Spicoli
VIP
VIP

Postby pennyman1 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:28 am

3.0 are also notorious for bad valve guides- they sink into the head and then you burn lots of oil. That was the big problem with 3.0s in mopars in the 90s with 3.0 v6s in caravans and big front driver autos.
Pennyman1
Living the D-50 life since 1980
The best Dodge that Dodge never made
pennyman1
VIP
VIP

Return to Transmission.