motor swap suggestions

Transmission Rebuilds or problems? Ask it here.

Re: motor swap suggestions

Postby camoit » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:09 pm

Hey Marlin 3030. How soon can you get some picts of the V8 up for me to look at?
I'm in the recarch phase of my engine, trans, and rear end swap. I was thinking about a mitsu. turbo 4 cyl. 4G63 but if a small block V8 Ford fits under the hood then were on like Donkey Kong.. As it stands right now I'm going start digging the truck out the Sunday. It has been sleeping for 6 years. I got tired of the Smog game in california. I now have a work around for that and don't need to smog any more. If all of you fokes had the chance to spend Someone else’s money to do a build with a Ford from the ground up what would guys sugest. Give me an engine and manual trans you would like me to pick up. The engine I wanted to drop in my wife flat told me "NO WAY" But honey it's just a little Indy car engine. Here the link. It's $30K for the 400 HP 11,000 RPM V8 and around $12K to build the 4 cyl. but half the power. http://www.h1v8.com/page/page/1562068.htm Once the truck is out and cleaned up I'll start a new thread with the hole process and problems and detailed picts. So lets pick an engine... As for a trans I would like a 5 speed or a 6 speed. I like Ford over Chevy. Manley because the distributor is in the right place. I'm not totly against the Chevy but the V6 is lighter so thats an advantage.
Here is my BUILD THREAD.
Live Class 6 off road race truck build. CLICK HERE FOR FEED.

http://www.onsiteconcrete.net
camoit
Admin
Admin

Engine Size: 2.6L
What year vehicle do you own?: 1980

Postby pennyman1 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:40 pm

Get a dohc 5.4 32 valve lincoln intech engine out of a 2002 up Navigator or Blackwood - 300 hp and 360 ft-lbs of torque- torque at 2750 rpms. Its the same motor ford used for the Ford GT and the Shelby GT500 - they have a blower and get 500+ hp. A tremec 6 spd fits the cobra 500. BTW, I have a Blackwood and it launches the 5900 lb truck with great authority, although its not stock.
Pennyman1
Living the D-50 life since 1980
The best Dodge that Dodge never made
pennyman1
VIP
VIP

Postby RickDees » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:18 am

Being a newbie here and only my second post here, I too have to agree with Russ and caution him and in the same breath agree with you Marlin about why everyone is stuck on these expensive and getting rare engines.
I don’t remember who it was on the mightyD50 who had a 1 ton (rare) truck. But he had about 10K just in the engine. I did say rare, so keeping that in perspective he did good if he can afford paying that much.(that’s just the cost of the engine) I won’t say these engines can not be fast or good, I’ll just call them expensive.
I have a 4.3 w/th350, believe or not the 4.3 is a lot lighter engine. I seen it when I pulled the blown 2.6 out and set the 4.3 in it.

Russ beware of the oil pan clearing the steering, the oil sump is the rear of the engine. (and remember I have the Pinto/M II IFS, Steering is forward of cross member)
Jason (maxheadroom) has a 302 in his truck, Fords sump is forward.

Now to exhaust. You have to get past the frame. Most who know of me and my truck know how I was forced to something unconventional. Jason is facing the same problem now
There is white truck on youtube with a 318 in it, beautiful truck and done very well, including his exhaust.

I seen a 1st gen on the freeway a while back with a 350 in it, The guy couldn’t put the hood on because the engine sat to high (interfered with the steering) Jason’s truck with the 302 can shut his hood.

Customizing a truck is great fun but in the same breath a pain in the ass.
(My truck isn’t named Christine for no reason)
I won’t tell anyone what they should do (not that anyone would listen), I can only tell you what I had to do.

I see many nice truck here, fast ones to boot. Really its all about how much money your willing to spend and knowing you will NEVER recoup what you spent.
And in the end, it will be just what you wanted

Ok, I have babbled long enough!

Rick
A Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calender says W T F.....
RickDees
Donator
Donator

Engine Size: 4.3
What year vehicle do you own?: 1986

Postby TotallyBalistic » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:01 am

lol rick thanks for your babbling we miss you. the ford small block is a very good and easy route and like you said the gm v6 posses a problem when you keep the stock steering, ive figured out a way around that and my exhaust man is taking care of the exhaust issue. as for a rare engine, in my area 4.3 v6's are so easy to come by its stupid. vortecs, tbi's fall from the sky at the junkyards around here but ive been on my search for the 85-86 factory 4 barrell 4.3. so in all dude your motor swap is your choice. small blocks fit decent in these trucks its all in how much money you want to spend.
Chuck Norris doesnt read books, he stares them down until he gets the information he wants.
TotallyBalistic
Good Times
Good Times

Engine Size: 2.0
What year vehicle do you own?: 1988

Postby camoit » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:19 am

Yes I herd that about the 4.3. What is a good year for them? That's what I was thinking about running.
As for the what I plan to do with my truck you can take a look at this site and check out the picts. http://www.geiserbros.com/www.geiserbro ... lbums.html
And yes I have the all the equiptment to build this. One thing is that everybody builds a frame for Ford, Gm, and Toyota. As I do my build I plan to make a full set to templets and a build out my other truck at the same time. It's a 79 Yellow Arrow It is going to be the templet truck. I figure I can make a U-weld it kit for the Rams. I use 1 1/2" tubeing. If I used 2" it looks like the tube is too big for the trucks. She wont be full race but a nice pre runner. I built off road cars for 10 years.
Here is my BUILD THREAD.
Live Class 6 off road race truck build. CLICK HERE FOR FEED.

http://www.onsiteconcrete.net
camoit
Admin
Admin

Engine Size: 2.6L
What year vehicle do you own?: 1980

Postby shoo_giesty » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:02 am

may i suggest this website.
http://www.racetep.com/montero.html
some guys can take a 5hp lawn mower engine and crank out 40hp it seems. it looks like these guys on this website did the same thing for our engines.
tim
shoo_giesty

Engine Size: 2.6
What year vehicle do you own?: 1985

Previous

Return to Transmission.