gear ratio help

Drive Line & Rear End Problems.

gear ratio help

Postby fool on the hill » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:09 am

Who knows what the lowest numercial gear ratio is available for the first gen D50's?
I just bought an LSD for it, and I'm having Moser redrill the front hubs and rear axles to 5X4.5.
I've looked at the rear, read a bit about it and am satisfied it's strong enough for the 360 V-8/ 904 torqueflite application I have in it for street and occasional strip use.
What I don't need is a 3.90 gear, I need something like a 3.00 or 2.76. How close to that can I get? Any aftermarket sources? I've been unable to find any.
Anyone?
fool on the hill

Engine Size: 50
What year vehicle do you own?: 1980

Re: gear ratio help

Postby RickDees » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:29 pm

3:54 is as high as they came. Hell no, no after market.
I have a 8.8 that I narrowed, the stock rear ends and axles are comparable.
The ring gear is 7 1/4" but quite stout!
A Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calender says W T F.....
RickDees
Donator
Donator

Engine Size: 4.3
What year vehicle do you own?: 1986

Re: gear ratio help

Postby fool on the hill » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:26 pm

Thanks, RickDees! Well, a -54 isn't what I'd hoped for, and I think that's what's in it now with the open rearend. I figure I can at least switch the ring and pinion over to the LSD, which has a 3.90 in now.
If I do another rear for it, I'm going to use a narrowed Mopar 8.25. I just can't make myself use a 9" Ford, and 8.75 Mopars are scarce. I also don't like Moser's 9" modified to take an 8.75 chunk. But a properly built Mopar 8.25 will handle anything I can throw at it in such a lightweight package.
I also wonder if there are other gearsets I might be able to have machined to fit it...I'll do some measuring and calling around once I break it down.
fool on the hill

Engine Size: 50
What year vehicle do you own?: 1980

Return to Propeller Shaft & Rear End.