Headlights: Change 1001

Headlights: Change 1001

Postby Johnboy72 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:57 pm

Ok, as many of you know I was working on the Ranger/Explorer headlight install before I left for Iraq. Well I think that little project is going to take a backseat. Don't worry, Vannoy might be helping me out in a way to get my dad's 88 Standard cab. So maybe I'll do that project on that truck. Anyways, back on topic, I've been staring at these lights all deployment just wishing I could figure out something. Image However, as of lately, we've only had the 24 volt headlights. I have even installed a light kit on our MRAPs and one of my PLS trucks. They sure light up the night. But now we are starting to get in the 12 volt headlights as our PLS is a 12 volt system. I just installed two sets yesterday on two PLS. So I'm thinking I might just have to order up a phantom grille and bring some of these lights home! Now if I could only get some flood lights from the light kits to put in there too. However, those are still 24 volt. AGH!

http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/GenericView?pageName=/new/PressReleases_en_US/12vLEDHeadlamp.html&storeId=10001&langId=-1
http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=64057&langId=-1
Johnboy72
VIP
VIP

Re: Headlights: Change 1001

Postby pennyman1 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:17 pm

Ya know, there is a way to hook 2 batteries up in series and still charge them as 2 12 volt batteries, Not easy, but doable.
Pennyman1
Living the D-50 life since 1980
The best Dodge that Dodge never made
pennyman1
VIP
VIP

Postby FordTruckMan » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:51 am

Hey pennyman, Im just takin a guess here, but that cowl induction hood you got on your d50. Thats something you had specially made isnt it, Ive never seen one for sale but Id like to find one.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Uploaded with ImageShack.us/img]Money Cant buy you happiness, but it sure as hell can buy you plenty of things to make you happy.
FordTruckMan

Engine Size: 2.4
What year vehicle do you own?: 1992

Postby LethalEthan » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:36 pm

they made a fiberglass cowl hood for second gens, its expensive though. around $500 if i remember correctly. You could make your own out of some metal and a stock hood for far less. It wouldn't be lightweight like the fiberglass but oh well. I have the link for them somewhere just have to find it.

whats the wattage on those lights john?

LethalEthan
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 2.3L

Postby pennyman1 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:50 pm

I bought that cowl induction scoop as a bolt on about 20 years ago and modded it to match the hood curve. Don't know if the company is still around; the were out of tennessee I believe.
Pennyman1
Living the D-50 life since 1980
The best Dodge that Dodge never made
pennyman1
VIP
VIP

Postby Johnboy72 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:08 pm

This is all it says.

Hard Coated Polycarbonate Lens
Anodized Aluminum Housing
Metalized Reflector
Encapsulated circuitry
Light Source:
10 Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs)
Designed at 12.8v
4.5a (High Beam), 2.5a (Low Beam)
Additional Specifications:
Operating Temperature Range of -50C to 70C
Overvoltage spike protection to 600v
Constant output

* This item is subject to U.S. export control laws. Export of such items may require prior authorization from the U.S. Government, including the U.S. Commerce Department's Bureau of Industry & Security or the State Department's Directorate of Defense Trade Controls. Unauthorized export, reexport, or diversion contrary to U.S. law is prohibited.
Johnboy72
VIP
VIP

Return to Lighting & Glass.