Ranger Headlight Project.

Ranger Headlight Project.

Postby Johnboy72 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:29 am

Ok, since getting hooked up here by a fellow member, wintermc, with some good looking Ranger headlights, I figured I'd share my (hopefully) future success and failures. I'm starting with a Mitsubishi grille I have laying around with a few broken tabs and not so great finish. So I'll cut it up before tearing my grille up. Working with simple hand tools and lots of creativity...hopefully there'll be no need to state a budget as I'm hoping for a simple DIYer project. While I have a great mind for creativity and design, I however lack patience. So I'll try to take my time! This is a trim, test fit and repeat as many times till you have it right. So I'll step away often to prevent "fix it till it's broke" syndrome.

Ok, lets kick this off. I taped up the headlights to prevent damage. I like using blue tape as it shouldn't leave a residue like other tape. Less clean up! I then taped up the grille around the lights so any marks with pen should be visible. Also, while trimming, I'm hoping that the tape will keep burnt plastic off the good finish! Plus, should help keep a good line. I'm planning on getting the grille cut first so I can try two different ideas. Then once I settle, I'll mount the grille and make a template to mount headlight to radiator support.

Here we go...
Last edited by Johnboy72 on Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnboy72
VIP
VIP

Re: Ranger Headlight Project.

Postby Johnboy72 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:32 am

Back to the garage to work it a little more. Trying to take my time and not rush this. So bear with me folks. More to follow.
Johnboy72
VIP
VIP

Postby Johnboy72 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:23 am

Basically started by cutting out red. Then started trimming. I really need to make a template cause the gaps could be tighter. But you remove a lot of the chrome and it's easy to fuck up! I'm sure I can correct any mistakes with door edge chrome trim. However, one mount has to be modified. It is nearly cut in half. But might refiberglass it or just cut if off entirely.
Well, it's just resting on the bumper in this picture so you have to use your imagination. I'm going to have to cut out the raditor support to get these lights in. But figured I'd picture it in my head first. Stepped back and took the picture...then it all fell when I was about two steps away from taking it down. Thank God the lights are fine!

So please give me your thoughts. Left side has over hang and I'll have to shave the corner lights. Right side is more of a bitch but will be able to retain corner light and grille border. Or I can just shave the corner and at least have a chrome border around it.
Johnboy72
VIP
VIP

Postby Johnboy72 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:28 am

Here's when they were on Wintermc's truck. Now his corners were not shaved. Notice the overhang. I'm just not sure if I'm diggin it.
Here's a pic of a Max with same overhang, but corners are shaved. Still don't know about the overhang.
Johnboy72
VIP
VIP

Postby Johnboy72 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:18 am

No one has opinions? I'm still undecided. Think I'll take a break.
Johnboy72
VIP
VIP

Postby Johnboy72 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:30 am

On my last picture, I modified it different on either side. The left side I cut out like the other trucks. That causes the overhang. On the right side, I cut into the chrome towards the middle. Look closely and you'll see the difference in width of the chrome area. I'm gonna track down a dremel tool for a cleaner look. Right now its just a cutoff wheel and boxbladeim using.
Johnboy72
VIP
VIP

Postby TurboMax » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:36 pm

I definitely like the ranger lights better then the old square head lights for sure.

I wouldn't shave the corners and it would look much better without the overhang. I'd keep trimming to get the right fit or you might be able to slightly trim the corner light borders with a minimal overhang.

Looks good so far.
TurboMax

Engine Size: 2.6T

Postby Johnboy72 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:44 pm

Good idea...let me take a look at the corner lights tomorrow.
Johnboy72
VIP
VIP

Postby 83L200 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:16 pm

dont fill the corners it looks like arse, the left side with no overhang looks like they ment to be there, just keep chipping away at it. :clap:
83L200
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 4G63
What year vehicle do you own?: 1983

Postby Johnboy72 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:46 pm

Ok, picked up a cheap rotary tool today. So said what the hell and tear up my grille instead of the red one. I think I could have a used a little more patience but all and all, happy. I'll acetone the black background around the lights to help improve the looks. Probably do that tomorrow after cutting other side out. Here's the pictures.
Johnboy72
VIP
VIP

Next

Return to Lighting & Glass.