what do you think about ruteoleum?

what do you think about ruteoleum?

Postby zipperd50 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:29 pm

i was thinking about painting my truck with rusteoleum gloss paint. i draw as a hobbie and i came up with an idea for my truck that has never been done before on any vehicle. its a cheap old truck so im not looking for show quality paint but something decent for not a lot of money out of pocket. ive seen online guys painted their cars with it and it seems fin as long as you sand out all the imperfections and a lot of very thin layers but my boyfriend dissagrees and says its not worth it to try and get a better paint.

does anyone have experience with it or think i should just stick to my idea of using rusteoleum?
zipperd50
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 2.6L
What year vehicle do you own?: 1989

Re: what do you think about ruteoleum?

Postby TotallyBalistic » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:58 pm

if thats what you want i say go for it...ive painted alot of wheels with rustoleum and had good luck with their paint..it seems to stick and gloss out alot better then alot of brands. i spray bombed my truck with some cheap paint and regret it. just sand the clear coat off and get a decent surface then lay you some thin layers until youre saticfied, but with spray bombs you get over spray real bad. good luck
Chuck Norris doesnt read books, he stares them down until he gets the information he wants.
TotallyBalistic
Good Times
Good Times

Engine Size: 2.0
What year vehicle do you own?: 1988

Postby pennyman1 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:29 pm

An old painter's trick with enamel paint is to heat it up to about 90 degrees or so - it gets the paint to flow better and gives you a great gloss out of the paint. An alternative is the Duplicolor paint at your local parts stores like pep boys, autozone, advance, etc. Its a laquer based paint premixed with thinner ready to spray out of the can. Sport Truck mag painted one of the editor's trucks with it and it can out good.
Pennyman1
Living the D-50 life since 1980
The best Dodge that Dodge never made
pennyman1
VIP
VIP

Postby chopd » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:28 am

Enamel paint is for re-coating bbq grills. :D
It's tough but NOT something you want on your vehicle.

(I'm the owner/operator of a custom shop and have been painting for 10+ years)

"Auto grade paint" is lacquer based, and that's all that should be used.
(unless using water-born paint / top coating with urethane clear)

Duplicolor IS auto grade. It is used in pro shops, formulated to work with
most high end finishes (Dupont, Martin Sr, PPG, Valspar, etc)
and best of all, it can be found at most auto part stores / paint shops too.

I have used it in the past, and I swear by the companies product line.
Primers, paints, clears, bed liner spray, etc)

http://www.duplicolor.com/ for more info.

The site should give you a bit more knowledge, as well as some cool ideas.
They have a pretty crazy line of custom / special-effect products as well.

:)

Sam -
=Chop Drop N' Roll=
chopd

Postby mikewarme » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:20 pm

Why not leave the truck. What a waste of money. Why not paint it with a roller. Some people don't realize with their job the truck comes out worse than leaving it as is. You have to remove all the dents chips in paint etc or the new paint will SHow it.
Last edited by TotallyBalistic on Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: watch youre racial crap warme. its gettin old fast and its not funny.
mikewarme

Engine Size: 2.3
What year vehicle do you own?: 1983

Postby zipperd50 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:42 am

do you really think im going to do a hillbilly paint job and not make it look good..i know how to paint a car..theres no dents in the truck and it only chips where the badges are

what one person thinks is a waste of time and money could mean something else to another person..dont try and act like just because the paint is cheap the trucks going to look cheap beacuse thats not how it works sorry
zipperd50
VIP
VIP

What year vehicle do you own?: 1989

Postby camoit » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:22 pm

Pittsburgh Paints make an excelent one stage or "single stage" paint. Called Pitthane Ultra Gloss. It's an indrustral paint a 1 gallon kit is around $100.00 You can use an airless sprayer if you want. It is a DTR, Direct To Rust. The best way to do it is you go out and rent or buy a cheep automotive spray gun. I painted my ready mix trucks my self and they look great. Just keep in mind once you mix it you only get about one hour of pot life. Allways keep a "wet edge" moving on the truck. Other wise you might see a diferance when every thing is dry.
I painted this truck in my driveway at home. And yes I did use a brush in places but the paint is made to run into a glass like finish on all serfaces. The only time I had a problem was when I hit a spot that had an oil mist area on the very back of the truck. There I did go a little heavy and it did sag. But a quick wipe with a rag and another shot and it looked like it never happend. It's easy to use. Cleans up with laquar thinner. If you spray it I recomend thinning it. Read the directions and it will look good. Good luck.

Here is my BUILD THREAD.
Live Class 6 off road race truck build. CLICK HERE FOR FEED.

http://www.onsiteconcrete.net
camoit
Admin
Admin

What year vehicle do you own?: 1980

Postby TurboMax » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:53 pm

I've done the rustoleum roller job on my starquest 4 years ago and its still holding up. Mine turned out pretty good and have been given alot of nice compliments. I few people thought it was sprayed on and was better then a Macco paint job. That being said, you'll spend alot of time wet sanding. If you can avoiding doing a roller job and spray your truck that's what I would do. I would get the Duplicolor paint mentioned above. You can even buy the paint at Walmart for $20 a can. The only reason I did the roller was I had no place to spray it. The plus side of using the rustoleum it prevents rust. My starquest had some rust and it has not come back since.

TurboMax

Engine Size: 2.6T

Return to Body, Frame & Paint