Carpet

Carpet

Postby Mighty6 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:35 pm

How would one go about installing some new carpet? Cause say i one day want to change it; but i glued it and such; would i be able to change it or is that going to be more work then its worth? Also, any recommendations for insulation/sound dampening materials would be great... i know kinda whats out; but whats best?
Mighty6

Engine Size: 6G72
What year vehicle do you own?: 1994

Re: Carpet

Postby JRSJ » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:54 pm

Carpet Removal -- http://www.metropartsmarket.com/carpet_installation_instructions.html

As for sound deadening? Dynamat is the leading brand. Not to sure on others.
JRSJ
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 2.0
What year vehicle do you own?: 1989

Postby JRSJ » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:59 pm

Did a quick search via google. Heres a qoute I found:

Dynamat is rubberized asphalt. The asphalt is what adds to the mass of your car's panels to deaden sound, and the rubber holds it all together and keeps it flexible. This material is also called polymeric mastic and is available for a fraction of Dynamat's price from McMaster-Carr. The advantage of buying Dynamat, however, is that the material is lighter and has an aluminum flashing on one side that also helps keep out ambient heat.
Covering the sound-deadening material with a layer of jute (hair or fiber carpet pad) will help quiet your car even more and create a soft comfortable feel under the carpets!

Also, you can find this "Polymeric Mastic" at a home depot, its used for roofing houses.
JRSJ
VIP
VIP

Postby Mighty6 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:02 pm

what if i dont get a carpet cutout... still possible?
Mighty6

Postby JRSJ » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:02 pm

Sorry, last one -- check this site out.

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi
JRSJ
VIP
VIP

Postby Mighty6 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:04 pm

JRSJ wrote:Did a quick search via google. Heres a qoute I found:

Dynamat is rubberized asphalt. The asphalt is what adds to the mass of your car's panels to deaden sound, and the rubber holds it all together and keeps it flexible. This material is also called polymeric mastic and is available for a fraction of Dynamat's price from McMaster-Carr. The advantage of buying Dynamat, however, is that the material is lighter and has an aluminum flashing on one side that also helps keep out ambient heat.
Covering the sound-deadening material with a layer of jute (hair or fiber carpet pad) will help quiet your car even more and create a soft comfortable feel under the carpets!

Also, you can find this "Polymeric Mastic" at a home depot, its used for roofing houses.

Or your local ace hardware :D Where i work! Lol. But i'd use the "Rubberized Undercoating" then. Only thing is i still dont know about insulation. But im sure that will provide decent ammount of insulation..
Mighty6

Postby JRSJ » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:09 pm

I don't quite understand, carpet cut out? Like ones you can buy online with the shape and holes pre-cut?

You could take the old carpet out in one piece, lay it over a large enough piece of new carpet (Carpet Warehouse?) and trace the shape/holes onto the new carpet. Cut it and plop it in.

As for deadening again, I'm sure if you used the rubberized undercoated ones, you could stick them in your doors and floor pan. It should deaden road noise regardless :)
JRSJ
VIP
VIP

Postby JRSJ » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:01 pm

JRSJ
VIP
VIP

Postby zipperd50 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:21 pm

i just replaced the carpet in my dad's jeep rubicon...got the new stuff free because he had a few rolls left over from installs for apartments...... and it wasnt easy up front where the bumps are and moulding and tucking...but it looks better then the old crap i ripped out and looks really good...im sure doing the carpet in a mini truck would be simple because its just one section, once you pull the seat out and the plastic knob by the pedals and the plastic piece in front of the shifter then it slides out of everywhere else
zipperd50
VIP
VIP

Engine Size: 2.6L

Return to Upholstery, Hardware, Pedals & Windows