PDA

View Full Version : Gas tank question

4doorciv
06-21-2012, 03:11 PM
Since I can't find a gas tank on here for sale, and locally wants an outrageous price, I found "Replacement Fuel Tank (P670120)" for the first gen mightymax. Is this compatible with the second gen? I do not have a comparison so need insight.

Payrion
06-23-2012, 05:40 PM
it isnt a direct swap. ive looked in the same direction you are..

pennyman1
06-23-2012, 06:28 PM
it is definately not the same - I have changed tanks in both and the mounts to the fittings are all different. The 1st gen the hoses go directly to the pipes on the tank with a separate sending unit. the 2nd gen tank the hoses and sending unit are all together in one place on the side of the tank for the carbed version. The 2nd gen FI tank the pump and hoses come out of the top and the sending unit is on the side. The 1st gen also had a set of expansion tanks on the top of the tank for evap purposes. I would think you could make a 1st gen tank work, but you have to have a 1st gen sending unit for it; the only person I know that has new ones is Mike Warme. New mounts would have to be made to match the new bolt pattern of the 1st gen tank. When the tank went bad on my 88 ext cab, I looked at this swap too, but found a truck with a new tank in a upullit for 45 bucks, and went with it instead.

4doorciv
06-24-2012, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the heads up. The local yards are charging a price I could buy a brand new fuel cell. I'll just keep lurking the classifieds.