PDA

View Full Version : 87 D50 here in Manila, Philippines

daxcap
09-11-2012, 08:06 AM
Greetings guys. 87 D50 owner here from the Philippines. Used to visit the old site and I'm glad to be here again.

Here is an old photo of my ride

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n75/daxcap/Online%20Pics/img148.jpg

Had it for more than 11 years as an alternate car but only recently been given it more attention and hoping to solve a persistent poor fuel economy problem.

DroppedMitsu
09-11-2012, 09:31 AM
Nice we are getting people from all over joining the site now. Welcome to the site, nice truck too!

daxcap
09-11-2012, 05:40 PM
Thanks.

Just a brief history of my ride.

How did it get here? I was left here after the US Base in Clark Field was closed in the early 90's and my dad acquired some time before 2000. I guess you can say I inherited it after he passed on and have never thought about getting rid of it.

What has been done to it so far? Aside from regular PMS, we did a 2 inch body lift, a bit larger tires (235/7015) and a custom shell for the back (the size of the bed is not common here). It didn't come with any A/C so we had one installed. Audio system I upgraded myself. Until recently, it still had the stock Mikuni carb........

So, its still all pretty much stock with the 4G54B engine and automatic transmission, a AW 372 (KW148) as it says on the ID plate. It is, as you all know, a joy to ride and really dependable when you need to carry a lot of things and not need a big truck.

Honestly, I've just been lurking around in the boards for quite some time now and I have to say you guys have been most helpful with all the information that you shall with the members. I find myself spending a lot of time in this site than any other lately.

pennyman1
09-11-2012, 05:50 PM
We are the best source of info on these trucks anywhere - no other forum can match the members or the experience this board has. Ask any question and we will do our best to answer it. Welcome to the board - glad you like what you see.

irishkael
09-11-2012, 06:10 PM
welcome to the site.

daxcap
09-11-2012, 08:17 PM
Thanks guys.

Just posted my question here (http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin/showthread.php/1406-bad-fuel-economy-(even-after-Weber-install)-87-D50-(A-T)?p=12658#post12658). Hope its in the right section.

Thanks

Malaking_TT
09-15-2012, 10:09 AM
Mabuhay. Gusto ko ang truck mo. Maraming truck ganyan doon sa pilipinas.

daxcap
09-15-2012, 06:14 PM
Mabuhay Malaking_TT, san ba matatagpuang mga ibang may ganitong pickup?

"Greetings, where else can I find other pickups like this?"

Malaking_TT
09-15-2012, 08:20 PM
Sa kalye lol

Gusto ko rin ang Delica at Pajero. Wala kaming ganyan dito sa US.

miked50
09-16-2012, 04:41 AM
have one here in Tarlac city. we do have the same tranny. mine is a turbo diesel already

daxcap
09-16-2012, 06:26 AM
Mike50, did you get yours from Clark Field also? What diesel engine did you swap it with?

Mice to know I'm not the only one around this part of the world.

Malaking_TT
09-16-2012, 09:25 AM
I love going to Philippines. I've been there 4 times cause my wife is from Baguio. I'm not Filipino, just like to practice Tagalog. We went back last February for my mother in laws funeral. It was the week of Panagbenga.

daxcap
09-16-2012, 07:28 PM
Looks like you've learned Tagalog pretty well there.

"Panagbenga" is the Flower Festival of Baguio (the summer capital of the Philippines). Weather there during the months of February is very nice.

miked50
09-17-2012, 08:14 PM
Mike50, did you get yours from Clark Field also? What diesel engine did you swap it with?

Mice to know I'm not the only one around this part of the world.

truck entered via subic port according to the paper trail.....4d56 turbo diesel. no intercooler.

miked50
09-17-2012, 08:15 PM
mine is more on a sorry state than yours daxcap. scratches, leaks, and so so. it's a daily driver.

Malaking_TT
09-17-2012, 09:02 PM
Too bad we never got the 4d56 over here. I got the 4d55 turbo diesel in mine but it' has really good torque. It was a factory conversion. Still has the sticker under the hood for the conversion information. Used to be a 2.6L gas engine.

miked50
09-23-2012, 05:48 AM
Too bad we never got the 4d56 over here. I got the 4d55 turbo diesel in mine but it' has really good torque. It was a factory conversion. Still has the sticker under the hood for the conversion information. Used to be a 2.6L gas engine.

my question/etc over here might be out of place but i'll ask anyway....TT, is the overdrive still alive on your rig? couldnt get mine to overdrive. replaced the od off lamp a while ago but no place to test the overdrive. there's too much traffic over here. pennyman suggested grounding a wire at the base of the carb but i cant seem to figure out which wire was that under the hood. got a thread on the 1st gen mighty max....former horse on mine was also the 2.6 g54b.

daxcap
09-23-2012, 08:36 AM
My over drive still works.

Malaking_TT
09-23-2012, 09:21 PM
By overdrive you mean 5th gear? Mine is a 5 speed manual and it works fine.

abeemanator
09-24-2012, 01:31 AM
He is talking about the km148 with the 3 speed overdrive tranny Miked50, I had the same problem after I replaced the head on my truck, one way to test your o/d is to jack the rear tires off of the ground and let it idle, and listen to see how many gears it shifts through, if it only goes to 3rd, give it a little gas and see if it goes into O/D, click the O/D off and on and see if you can hear it shift back and fourth, if not there is a temperature sensor near the thermostat housing, check to see if all the wires are plugged in, if so then check the O/D relay behind the drivers side kick panel, and test to see if it works, when the truck it warm enough you should be able to shut the truck off, turn it back to on, but dont start it, and click the O/D button and listen to see if the relay clicks, if that all works then it is more than likely somewhere between the relay and the tranny. I can take a picture of where the wires go if you want me to

abeemanator
09-24-2012, 01:33 AM
My tranny O/D works great, actually the whole tranny works great, but it is useless if the truck has a rod knock that is louder than the truck itself!!

miked50
09-27-2012, 09:08 PM
He is talking about the km148 with the 3 speed overdrive tranny Miked50, I had the same problem after I replaced the head on my truck, one way to test your o/d is to jack the rear tires off of the ground and let it idle, and listen to see how many gears it shifts through, if it only goes to 3rd, give it a little gas and see if it goes into O/D, click the O/D off and on and see if you can hear it shift back and fourth, if not there is a temperature sensor near the thermostat housing, check to see if all the wires are plugged in, if so then check the O/D relay behind the drivers side kick panel, and test to see if it works, when the truck it warm enough you should be able to shut the truck off, turn it back to on, but dont start it, and click the O/D button and listen to see if the relay clicks, if that all works then it is more than likely somewhere between the relay and the tranny. I can take a picture of where the wires go if you want me to
yes please. done some tests already. no luck engaging the OD. tried it first at 60kmh, nothing. pushed it a little shy of 80 kmh, still nothing...OD relay already checked and it is still good. btw, as stated it has been converted to a diesel 4d56 turbo a decade ago by the previous owner. the trany wirings are located at the left (driver's) side). kindly show me a picture of the spaghetti mess.