PDA

View Full Version : 1980 Plymouth Arrow 2.0, need transmission...

haruman
02-05-2014, 06:50 AM
Dad towed the Arrow out here to Arizona from Alabama... here she is now:

However... when towing her, he didn't pull the driveshaft and so the transmission is a melted mess that can't be rebuilt. Anyone know where to find a new baby 904?

royster
02-05-2014, 08:00 AM
How cool for your Dad to have done this for you (and what an adventure for him, I'm sure).

Out there in Arizona I bet you have a lot of Pick-A-Part yards you could check by going online and doing a search for your area. Keep an eye out for private parties selling their truck and consider getting the whole truck for parts (you learn a lot from doing that). Having a transmission shipped to you is going to be pricey, so search locally and see what you come up with. Best of luck to you, too, because that looks like a sweet little Arrow. It certainly says a lot for your Dad to have towed it across all those miles for you.

haruman
02-05-2014, 08:14 AM
Yeah there's a pick a part with an 82 mitsubishi truck... not sure what motor or tranny is in it, but worth a look at least.

There is a lot of sentimental value with this truck. First thing I ever drove, my dad has had it since new in November of '79. I really can't wait to get it on the road again!

royster
02-05-2014, 12:24 PM
Sorry: couldn't resist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ2kug89fAQ

haruman
02-05-2014, 01:05 PM
Haha! I've never heard that one before

royster
02-05-2014, 03:43 PM
It's from the animation "The Point". I think Plymouth also used the song for advertising those trucks, back then.

pennyman1
02-05-2014, 06:38 PM
They used it for the car and the truck in the late 70's and early 80's

haruman
02-06-2014, 05:57 AM
Nice!

Well, in the good news front, located a transmission in Cali, getting shipped here. Hopefully be here Friday, get rebuilt & reinstalled by Saturday. After that, new shocks and idler arm are going in the front. New alternator going in, too.

haruman
02-11-2014, 10:05 AM
Shipping delays with transmission. Rebuilt yesterday, should be going in today with the rest of the parts... woo!

Got these sweet things from Mike yesterday, too (a pair & a new dome light):

mikewarme
02-12-2014, 05:57 AM
Looks like a really clean truck. Let us know if you need any other help!

haruman
02-14-2014, 10:29 AM
Looks like a really clean truck. Let us know if you need any other help!

Will do! Looks like I'll be getting her back Wednesday or so with a rebuilt tranny, exhaust redone (manifold is cracked, cat bad, muffler & all pipes).

After that dropping the new shocks in the front with the idler arm, and the new alternator. From there it's on to emissions testing, and getting her registered & tagged!

I'll be bugging you for some window scrapers soon I'm sure. The ones on there are rock hard, and being in Arizona, I'll probably get some tint on the windows and don't want that to get tore up by bad scrapers.

OG Arrow
02-20-2014, 06:15 PM
Speaking of tint on the windows ,,, in that one picture, picture # 3, it looks like it Has Factory Style Tinted Windows.
It looks like the side glass has a green tint to it. Or is it just my computer ?
I didn't think these trucks came with tinted glass ,,,
Are they slightly green ???

haruman
02-21-2014, 06:06 AM
They are slightly green... hmm. I'll try to take a better pic today, with a white sheet of paper behind one of the windows.

Anyone know where to find the stupid dome light bulb? I got a new lens from Mike, ordered some bulbs online but they are way too big.

In other news, got the shocks & idler arm installed. Exhaust completely redone from the engine to the tailpipe. New taillight lenses courtesy of Mike are installed...

Transmission rebuilt, however, lost reverse and the rear seal is leaking, so back to the transmission shop today. :shakehead:

haruman
03-05-2014, 07:42 AM
Transmission back in shape, now to get the carb figured out. Choke doesn't move, is stuck closed ('tis a brand new carb). Have jerry-rigged it open for the time being... once the carb is done and adjusted time to get emissions done, and title / tags / registration!

haruman
03-10-2014, 11:15 AM
Drove her to work this morning then on to the mechanic to take a look at the carb... she's at the shop now. 8524

haruman
05-18-2014, 12:23 PM
Update:

Brakes are fixed, new Weber carb installed, new alternator. Just passed emissions, I take her to get title / tags / registration on Monday. Truck is running smooooooth. I have to tweak the kickdown cable adjustment a little, but other than that, she's good to go!

haruman
05-18-2014, 12:26 PM
And just for fun, here is my & my dad, back when the truck was brand new:

Fordubishi
05-18-2014, 05:37 PM
When the truck was brand new and so were you :))

haruman
05-19-2014, 06:50 AM
And just for fun, here is my & my dad, back when the truck was brand new:

Yup, I was about a year and a half old in that pic.

BradMph
05-19-2014, 11:55 AM
Speaking of tint on the windows ,,, in that one picture, picture # 3, it looks like it Has Factory Style Tinted Windows.
It looks like the side glass has a green tint to it. Or is it just my computer ?
I didn't think these trucks came with tinted glass ,,,
Are they slightly green ???

That tint you see is actually the front window tinting with the glass sheets and adhesive between. Usually can catch it at angles and not seen as much from straight on. Side windows could possible have a slight color tinting, but most likely the front is the greenish color you see. It looks darker with the white colors around it and maybe some camera enhancing from the shot.

haruman
05-19-2014, 01:02 PM
Well, I got the kickdown linkage adjusted right, shifts great, drops gear if you stomp it.

Everything's official, I got the tags, title, and registration. She's good to go!

All that's left is pretty much cosmetic stuff. First order of business is some new speakers, though. Mine are dry rotted and sound awful. :shakehead:

Fordubishi
05-19-2014, 05:01 PM
you can have either green tint,blue tint or no tint. My original door glass was green, the door Camoit sent me was blue and the other replacement door I got at the wreckers was clear. Ended up using my original green as the back glass is tinted the same and got a replacement front with the green band.

Gratz on getting it all legal and running good.

haruman
05-23-2014, 06:55 AM
Been driving it around town, drove it into work today (25 minutes, 70mph most of the way). Man it's smooth...

Someone rolled down their window at a stoplight to talk to me about the truck yesterday. That's never happened to me before. :cheers:

noahwins
05-23-2014, 09:44 AM
I know they're hard to find but the original tin grill looks so good on the early trucks with the single headlights and chrome bumper. Never liked teh black plastic as much. Older looks better on the 1st Gens IMO.

haruman
05-27-2014, 11:41 AM
I know they're hard to find but the original tin grill looks so good on the early trucks with the single headlights and chrome bumper. Never liked teh black plastic as much. Older looks better on the 1st Gens IMO.

If I can find one I'll snag it. Dad replaced the grill years ago after the original got busted up. The front bumper needs replacing, too. Having a hard time finding one at a reasonable price.

BradMph
05-27-2014, 08:03 PM
Better be nice to her or she will stop running and you'll be asking what is wrong here in the forum. Get comfortable driving it as well. You don't want to wreck the thing after you just got it. As for the grill, if it's just a little bending and what not, maybe repaint it and save the money for a lowering kit and nice wheels. lol. Oh and these trucks are chick magnets, you'll have girls chasing you all over now. :lmao:

Search for parts real well before buying. Seems we always find something cheaper right after we click the purchase button at a web site.

haruman
05-28-2014, 07:30 AM
So I need an O-ring... have a small leak where the speedo cable comes out of the transmission. Anyone happen to know the correct size or where to find it?

It's a baby 904, btw