PDA

View Full Version : rebuilding auto lock hubs

colotxr
04-01-2014, 06:42 PM
I pulled a cover on an 84 auto locking hub and found a loose snap ring/retainer clip laying inside. I assume it's supposed to do something else. I just got the truck running again and haven't tried 4wd. I'm just looking at my options. Are they rebuildable by the semi dedicated weekend mechanic? Any input would be appreciated.

mikewarme
04-02-2014, 07:28 AM
Yes they are. Would you like a parts schematic? just need your email. You would be better off with a new set of manual hubs though........ Unless you want the originality? I did collect some new NOS auto hubs

Law Dog
04-02-2014, 12:25 PM
I cleaned and greased mine when I rebuilt my frontend on my 88 to get them working, I think that old grease was keeping them from working right.

colotxr
04-02-2014, 06:23 PM
I don't suppose you want to sell them.

Lem Forder
08-01-2014, 09:34 PM
Mike -- What would a pair of manual hubs cost, shipped to Stanwood, WA 98292? Are they a direct bolt in replacement for auto hubs?

Law Dog -- The manual says something about needing to press some components in and out to service the hub. Sounds like a pain in the rear. Did you have to take them completely apart to clean and lube or were you able to stop short of that?

Law Dog
08-03-2014, 02:10 PM
I flushed and blew out the old dirty grease from the hubs without taking it apart, washed out with gas and used compressor air then just re-greased them and they worked fine.

Lem Forder
08-04-2014, 11:21 AM
Hey, that sounds like something I can handle. Thanks!