PDA

View Full Version : One man's experience with "NexGen" brand oil.

Grumppa
04-03-2014, 03:15 PM
50% recycled, 50% new. Sounded OK. I am fussy about my oil, but I finally broke down and tried a load of 10W-30. First off, it was hard to find 10-30!!

Long story short: drained the stuff after 100 miles and went back to Tractor Supply "Traveler" straight 30W. That NexGen was like water! Really bad pressure :shock: and our few little oil seeps turned into gushers . I keep thinking about trying Rotella (Spelling?) but I have not seen it around here lately.

Speaking of water: anyone tried this 0-xx weight oil? Sounds fishy to me. Thanks! Grumppa

BradMph
04-03-2014, 05:43 PM
What I have found about oil researching it and filters is that 30wt is pretty much the best to use. From what I read, breaking in an engine the 30 is the choice one. Definitely stay away from synthetic especially if you used non-synthetic prior. If you want leaks, just put synth in a motor that ran non snyth.

royster
04-03-2014, 07:03 PM
Shell Rotella is what I use, 30 wt. It's one of the few reasons I'll go into Wal*Mart, they have it there in a gallon jug. I tried the 10-30, but the cold start ups continued to blow a bit of smoke. With the 30 wt there's no smoke at all, and it's not so thick it seizes the engine up.

I'm hearing bad things about Fram filters, appreciate any gossip about those.

camoit
04-03-2014, 10:41 PM
I got some laying around.. :)

pennyman1
04-12-2014, 07:29 PM
You can also use Brad Penn - its a semi synthetic with ZDDP that our old trucks need to keep things together. Napa can get it for you. Rotella also has the ZDDP because they haven't removed it from the diesel oil like they did with off the shelf motor oil for cars