PDA

View Full Version : Ignition problem

Tiny
06-02-2014, 05:23 PM
I drove the Mighty Tiny about 800 miles this weekend without an issue.

Right after I got home, I went to move my truck and it wouldn't start. I turned the key, stereo, lights, power, everything comes on, but when I go to start it, nothing happens. The started doesn't even try to bump or anything.

A few hours later I tried again and it started right up.

This morning, again, nothing. The battery is showing a full charge, no blow fuses, no obvious broken/shorting wires.

Any idea what it might be? My first thought is the ignition itself is going out but I wanted to see if anyone has seen this problem before.

Thanks guys!

ragragtimetime
06-02-2014, 06:12 PM
clean & apply di-electric grease to connection "s". it is the "tiny" wire (just had to) on the "magnetic switch". tricky to reach on stock setup...follow your positive battery cable which also bolts to "magnetic switch" & "s" connection will be about <2" from it. usually grease/oil builds up & contact will be insufficient.

camoit
06-02-2014, 09:04 PM
My truck did that same thing. Turned out it was battery cables.

noahwins
06-03-2014, 09:42 AM
Check/clean all of your frame and body grounds while you're at it. I found the braided one to the firewall had corroded completely through on my old '92.

camoit
06-03-2014, 10:00 PM
Oh also under the passenger seat is a plug that loops back to the harness. It can cause the starter not to work.

Tiny
06-22-2014, 06:33 AM
It turned out to be the starter. For awhile it would work if I smacked it a few times, but now it's totally dead.

I've got a new one, but I'm not entirely sure how to replace it. It's in such a weird position. Any suggestions?

Law Dog
06-22-2014, 08:12 AM
Have the same problem on my truck if I wiggle the wire on the solenoid a few times it starts right up then it mostly happens in wet weather! Just need to tighten up the spade clip that slips over the connection on the solenoid!

LittleRam50
07-04-2014, 12:43 AM
I jacked up the right side of my truck. Had someone hold the starter after connecting it up then then had them hold it in place while I reinstalled the bolts

LittleRam50
07-04-2014, 12:44 AM
Drivers side I meant.