PDA

View Full Version : Horrible Noises when going over Bumps and Jumpy Steering

dangerofdeath
09-20-2014, 02:34 PM
As the title says I can hear metal on metal scraping when I go over bumps or potholes and the truck is bouncing around. Also if I hit a bump at any speed the steering will snap towards the right side of the truck. Convientely that's where I found the arm with missing bushings in this picture. When I tap this arm with a hammer there's about 1/4" to a 1/2" of travel. If I do the same to its twin on the other side of truck there is no travel at all. Therefore this thing is my problem.

Any ideas on what this part's called, where I can get replacement bushings for it, and how to fix it?

For reference I'm working off this list of bushings for my 1987 2.0L 2WD Ram 50. http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/products.asp?cat=Mitsubishi+Mighty+Max+1987

geezer101
09-20-2014, 03:19 PM
The bushes in your steering idler arm are shot. They only need to be knocked out and new ones pressed in by hand (easy job) You could do it without removing the link end from the centre drag link. I would also inspect the shaft the arm is mounted to for signs of bending and wear.

dangerofdeath
09-20-2014, 04:58 PM
Ah, so it's the idler arm. Then I'm going to order this bushing set for it. http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MOOG-K9100

Thanks for the info.

BradMph
09-20-2014, 10:04 PM
Get the moog heavy duty idler arm. I blew out 2 idler arms towing our boat and replaced the last one with a HD moog and haven't had a problem since. Bushing kits I found were worthless IMO because the arm was worn out and the bushing will fall out or flop around. Try also to get one with the grease zerk fitting installed.

I think they call the "Problem Solver Heavy Duty Idler Arm". I got mine from Orielly Auto Parts

Comparison of parts

camoit
09-20-2014, 10:57 PM
Tech tip: Have someone sit in the truck with the engine off and the stering unlocked. Have them rock the wheel back and forth. Look under the truck at all the steering linkage. Look at the tie rod ends and check for movement. All the parts should move at the same time. If the ends are bad one part will move slightly before the other part it's connected to. If there is any movement between the tie rod end to the drag link or spindle the tie rod end is bad. They should only move side to side. Up and down is no good. Twisting is OK.