PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Research

MIHIFISI
10-07-2014, 11:27 AM
I was and have been looking and lurking for information on doing the power steering swap into my MMM. On the old site one of the members stated that you could just tap into the two ports on NON power steering box w/ the hoses from the power steering pump. This would save a lot of time swapping out the steering boxes, IF TRUE. Can anyone verify or debunk this?

geezer101
10-07-2014, 04:30 PM
I can't verify that but - where are the hydraulics in a manual steering box? I'm not a hydraulics expert or anything but all that would seem to do is squirt power steering fluid through the case from one hole and out the other...:scratchheadyellow:

pennyman1
10-07-2014, 05:50 PM
that won't work - there is nothing in a manual box for the fluid to work against to give you power assist. You can use a power steering box from a starquest, but you have to change out the column also, as the boxes are different and the pwr steering box needs a shorter steering column.

MIHIFISI
10-08-2014, 10:40 AM
That is exactly my thought, Just seemed odd that he just tapped the two lines and BOOM Power steering, Still makes me wonder what the two capped areas are for on the NON power steering boxes. Since I have a donor truck, everything is there to do the swap, just looking to save some time.

crvtec90
10-08-2014, 02:48 PM
I pretty sure you will need more than just a power steering gear box. If I remember correctly there is a difference in the idler/pitman/ center link.

MIHIFISI
10-08-2014, 05:37 PM
I pretty sure you will need more than just a power steering gear box. If I remember correctly there is a difference in the idler/pitman/ center link.

You are correct, That is why I am glad I have a complete donor truck to swap from

thehive
10-09-2014, 08:36 AM
here is a great write up someone did on theirs from the forum: http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin/showthread.php/2969-2nd-Gen-Power-steering-install-DIY

MIHIFISI
10-09-2014, 10:27 AM
TheHive, Do I lnow you dude? L:OLZZZ

thehive
10-09-2014, 11:31 PM
LOL maybe.....:grin: