PDA

View Full Version : Ignition Lock

Uncle Spence
10-15-2015, 12:14 PM
Anyone ever had their key switch lock up? I went out to go get lunch in Wallace and the ignition cylinder has locked up. I wiggled and tapped and tried all the old tricks in the book but with no success. I have a couple of spare keys... that is my next plan. If the steering wheel wasn't locked I'd pull start it to get it home at least.

BradMph
10-15-2015, 04:39 PM
My key can come out while it is running, very convenient when I have to run back into house because I forgot something and not have to turn motor off. Having a heavy key ring will eventually cause an issue, be it locked cylinder or key can be removed after starting. WD40 may help but it sounds like you broke a tumbler, if all else fails a strong screwdriver might work. They sell the sets on ebay or rockauto, just like everything else. :)

Uncle Spence
10-16-2015, 07:46 AM
Well my bride brought me one of the spares and it took a little wiggling but it finally moved. Felt like something was definitely locked there though. I've just been using the original key and I wonder if it finally has enough wear on it that it isn't doing its job properly anymore.

geezer101
10-16-2015, 03:05 PM
I was wondering what you'd be able to do if a tumbler in it had failed other than using brute force.

pennyman1
10-17-2015, 06:54 PM
use a hacksaw blade - cut a slot in the 2 headless bolts that hold the lock assembly to the column, then spin them out and remove the lock from the column. unscrew the ignition switch from the cylinder and use straight screw driver blade to turn to start and run.